Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: help me with a business name

Options
Alright everyone I just passed my test to be a general contractor last Monday. I am trying to pick a name but am just unsure so I’m hitting all my resources to see what everyone thinks. I’m wanting to do new construction, additions, and remodels. I’m leaning more towards a generic name like Schultz Construction, Schultz Builders, or Schultz Contracting but I have doubts about them. What do y’all think or any other suggestions?
Dyersburg, TN

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Your business name should reflect your goal....FWIW ie a plumber that want to push water heaters " Water Heaters Now" ....define your target 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    I agree with Larry. Define what your specialty will be and develop something that will
    stand out from the crowd. For instance, there’s a large metro Atlanta plumber than gives part of their proceeds to breast cancer research. Seeing a bunch of pink trucks running around Atlanta is memorable. 

Also, I wouldn’t attach your name to the business. Ultimately you want your business to grow larger than you. 
  • Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    Options
    Schultzy’s Quality Construction

Slogan: You Dream It, I Build It
  • FlyOverCountry
    Options
    Go with something catchy like “Schultz’s Large Erections”
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    I agree with Larry. Define what your specialty will be and develop something that will
    stand out from the crowd. For instance, there’s a large metro Atlanta plumber than gives part of their proceeds to breast cancer research. Seeing a bunch of pink trucks running around Atlanta is memorable. 

Also, I wouldn’t attach your name to the business. Ultimately you want your business to grow larger than you. 
    I have thought about this but I don’t feel like my area is large enough to have a very specific speciality. 
    Dyersburg, TN
  • leemschu
    Options
    I’m a heel as I forgot to congratulate you on getting your license. I know that’s been a goal of yours of a long time. Awesome accomplishment. 
    Thank you sir.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Yes no doubt , congratulations!!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    IMO, name your business with seo in mind.
        It used to be in the phone book you wanted to be at the top like abc contracting. 

If I were in your shoes think of what the keywords someone looking for your service would type.

So if you were into remodeling around here I would name it something like Columbus remodeling experts.

You could name it Shultz build group then run dba like Columbus roofing and remodeling. 

That would be a way that you could target specific customers like the others said but not pigeon hole yourself or be to broad.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited August 2019
    Options
    leemschu said:
    Alright everyone I just passed my test to be a general contractor last Monday. I am trying to pick a name but am just unsure so I’m hitting all my resources to see what everyone thinks. I’m wanting to do new construction, additions, and remodels. I’m leaning more towards a generic name like Schultz Construction, Schultz Builders, or Schultz Contracting but I have doubts about them. What do y’all think or any other suggestions?
    Maybe even Schultz Home Designs, Schultz Custom Homes or Schultz General Contractors. Keywords are what i would go for. Think about if you were a customer and googling what you wanted done. You enter those keywords in a search engine and folks find you fast

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• littlerascal56
    Options
    Schultz Building & Design, Inc 
  • leemschu
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Go with something catchy like “Schultz’s Large Erections”
    Definitely would catch some eyes but I’m not looking to only get cougars for clients.

Dyersburg, TN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Congrats on the license.  That is a great accomplishment.
    No help with naming rights. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Your Home Builder
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    I have to get this out so I stop thinking about it...

Sergeant Schultz's Contracting...

Not to worry... When it comes to meeting your building and design needs,

We do know 'some-ting'

But on a serious note, congratulations and best of luck!
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Congratulations!  Great things coming!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Congratulations!!  Well deserved 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    Maybe something with a bit of added warmth- like Schultz Building Services (service is a warm concept) or Schultz Home Builders (home is a warm concept)?
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Anything classy by changing the "C's" to "K's" 

Kawality Kustom Kraftsman Konstruction 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Congratulations and good luck. I'd go for something with alliteration. Here are some ideas not necessarily all alliterative (see what I did there?):

https://hookagency.com/construction-company-name-ideas/
    Mountain View, CA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Schultz Quality Construction. ///  Quality Construction By Schultz 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    My uncles home construction business is his last name with the word "builders" behind it. Simple yet been in the business for 40 years. Obviously it takes more than a name to keep a business running but a simple company name keeps things from becoming over complicated. Just a thought anyways 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • leemschu
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Kind of leaning towards Schultz Builders or Prestige Builders (maybe Prestige Home Builders). Yay or nay?
    Dyersburg, TN
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Schultz quality builders 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    No one has asked so  will.

Your name IS Schultz, right?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    leemschu said:
    Kind of leaning towards Schultz Builders or Prestige Builders (maybe Prestige Home Builders). Yay or nay?
    Yea on Prestige Home Builders though I had just thought of Ace Home Builders so that you would be one of the first shown in the yellow pages.
  • leemschu
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    No one has asked so  will.

Your name IS Schultz, right?
    Haha yes last name

Dyersburg, TN
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    SBI (Schultz Builders Incorporated).  Then work on your logo.  This way your name is included, yet your business can grow larger than just you.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    leemschu said:
    Whatever name you are thinking about, do one thing - Google it.
    Something like "Prestige Builders" is too generic and will probably return a gazillion companies all over the US. Not all of them may have good reviews - you don't want your "Prestige Builders" to be confused with one of those gazillion others with a similar name.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited August 2019
    Options
    My childhood dentist was Dr. Schultz, so I would go with Dr. Buildgood. Then you can have a catchy commercial jingle. 
    🎶
    He's the one they call doctor build good! 
    He's gonna make your house all-right!
    🎶

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.