Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire and smoke...

Tbonez3858
Tbonez3858 Posts: 102
edited August 2019 in EggHead Forum
After five-ten years of doing a lot of cooking on the BGE I've finally found the lighting method that gives me the best smoke flavor with the least "acidic over smoke taste"...

In the beginning I had trouble lighting fires, like many new green eggers, so I ended up getting a map torch and a lump chimney.I would start the fire using the chimney/mapp torch and let it run for about ten minutes with the lid open and all vents wide open. It was a guaranteed process to have a well lit big green egg. The smoke taste, regardless if I let the smoke run blue, was too much and acidic using this method... It didnt taste like a wood fired stick burning pit. I have no idea why this lightening method caused bad flavor and my only assumption is the coals got too hot during the lightening process and emitted a scent or aroma from the extreme heat.

I've gotten to the point where I light the smallest section of lump possible with a mapp torch. I dont give the lump anytime to light with the lid up. I simply close the lid after a brief light, adjust the vents and let the temp slowly come up over an hour. This produces the most natural "stick burning" flavor I've had out of the big green egg. Even the left overs have a nice smoke taste but they arent overly smokey...Wish I figured this out much sooner..

Anyone else you a similar process..

Comments

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I could see a chimney giving a bad flavor from dumping/ moving the coals.
    I typically put my lump and smoke wood in BGE and use MAP gas torch to light. If doing 250, I will light 1 spot. 350, I light 2 spots. Never had any bad flavor.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Likely you got bad smoke by overshooting your temp and causing the lump to smolder in an oxygen-poor environment as the temp came back down.

Bringing up your fire slowly will make sure only the necessary lump is burning and your fire will burn "clean".
    NOLA
  • always smell the smoke before adding your proteins
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    What brand of lump are you using?

For years, I used BGE brand lump, supposing that BGE would only put their brand on the best.  I resisted all of the people here who kept raving about Rockwood, had kind of a chip on my shoulder, to be honest.  But I almost always had lots of bad white smoke with BGE lump (that I now know is Royal Oak).  When I finally gave in and tried Rockwood, it was a REVELATION.  I almost never have white smoke, and that bad smelling stuff just doesn't happen, anymore.

I fill the Egg with Rockwood nearly up to the top of the fire ring, and either light it (Map torch) in one place, centrally a bit toward the front, if it's low-and-slow, or in several places if I want a fire to quickly spread across the whole surface for hot grilling.  I almost never have to wait for any smoke to clear, and always like the way the smoke smells and tastes on my food.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    It’s more about the lump. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • FSUMark
    FSUMark Posts: 35
    Only had my BGE for a couple months, but I've defintely noticed that the flavor is better if I slowly chase my temps.  So if I want 275 let it work from 200 to 275 over an hour or so. Short cooks I found it doesn't matter so much IMO