Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Cookbooks

Options
Looking to expand my knowledge of BBQ. Anyone have a book they really like? I have Meathead’s and reviews say Franklin’s is geared more toward large cooks. Just trying to learn how to do things better. 

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The first book to really get me going was Mike Mill's "Peace, Love, & BBQ"  He and his daughter also had another good one, "Praise the Lard."

A lot of people on this forum have enjoyed stuff from Adam Perry Lang, like "Serious BBQ."

An early pro using the BGE is Ray Lampe, aka, Dr. BBQ. His work is solid.

Steve Raichlen has written a ton of stuff, most of which I've found useful.

I enjoyed Michael Symon's "Playing w. Fire", a slightly quirky set of recipes from Cleveland.

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Smokin' With Myron Mixon. I realize that some Eggheads aren't fond of him but putting that aside, I've learned a lot from his book.

Smoke and Spice by Cheryl and Bill Jamison.

I've learned more of Aaron Franklin's BBQ techniques from watching his videos than by reading his book.

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • zahulio
    zahulio Posts: 135
    Options
    I love reading good cookbooks!

Meathead's book is a must-read. Aaron Franklin's book is a great read too.... although his videos are more useful than his book (as @1voyager points out). 

I recently discovered "Charcoal: New Ways to Cook with Fire" by Josiah Citrin. His restaurant, named "Charcoal" cooks with BGEs. 

Also check out books by Francis Mallmann (especially "Seven Fires"). Wonderful Argentinean recipes and techniques. I made his salt-encrusted fish in my BGE. He's one of the chefs featured in the Netflix show "Chef's Table."

I have a bunch of Steve Raichlen BBQ books on my kindle app since they go on sale all the time. The recipes are good (but not great).

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    zahulio said:

I recently discovered "Charcoal: New Ways to Cook with Fire" by Josiah Citrin. His restaurant, named "Charcoal" cooks with BGEs. 

How is this one specifically? It's only got 5 reviews on Amazon. I own and love all the Mallman and APL books. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,297
    Options
    I have and like the one by Lamke. It is the best of the three that I have.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    Dawgtired said:
     Just trying to learn how to do things better. 
    Can you expand on this? What are you looking to do better? You’ll get better advice here than a cookbook. And we work for free...
  • zahulio
    zahulio Posts: 135
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    zahulio said:

How is this one specifically? It's only got 5 reviews on Amazon. I own and love all the Mallman and APL books. 
    I like it! I found it at our public library, and I'm considering purchasing a copy. There's some interesting recipes/techniques. Caveman cabbage is one I've made twice now (the second time with red cabbage rather than the recommended green cabbage; red tasted better). 
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I continue to learn from Adam Perry Lang's Serious BBQ.  It has been my go to for years...

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I like Adam's Charred & Scruffed even better than Serious BBQ. It's like he matured and streamlined (simplified) his steps. Both are great and really changed my grilling game more than any other book. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Dawgtired said:
     Just trying to learn how to do things better. 
    Can you expand on this? What are you looking to do better? You’ll get better advice here than a cookbook. And we work for free...
    Says the guy with the BGE cookbook mushrooms....
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited August 2019
    Options
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    I'm working on another recipe today from APL's Serious Barbecue: Asian Pork Meatball Skewers . What I will say is his recipes are elaborate. The food is good and he has great ideas. Sometimes I do like 2/3 of the recipe, e.g. eliminate a sauce or rub to make it quicker. 

Mountain View, CA