Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri tip

Options
blind99
blind99 Posts: 4,971
whole foods has been stocking tri tip recently. They are getting a little concerned at the amount we are buying. The guy asked my wife what we do with it all. How do we cook it? She said ask my husband.... I love this cut. There’s no waste. No bone or gristle. And everyone gets some done to their liking. 

my go to is a coffee rub. Espresso, kosher salt, paprika, ground pepper, a little garlic, and some chili powder. Like so:

Theres no wrong way to cook these. This way is: indirect, with some smoke, pull at IT 110. It can sit however long - prep the rest of dinner, whatever. I use a stone on my spider. Pull the stone, then sear to your desired IT in the thickest spot. For the average crowd, pull around 132 and foil and everyone will be happy. If more people like rare, pull it lower obviously. Takes about 45 minutes to cook this way. I’ve also just grilled it all the way, and done sous vide. It’s all good. 

Indirect:

Sear:

Let it rest 10 minutes. Like brisket, cut against the grain when ready to eat. 

Have a great weekend! Hope these pix came through in order. 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle

Comments