Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket challenge

Options
Ok all, here's the challenge. 

I have a small (5.5lbs) choice brisket (flat) that I have to cook for an impromptu neighborhood cook off.

What would be your approach for ensuring it turns out good? Throw it in and hope for the best? Smoked for a few hours and wrap with broth?

I know it really is up to the meat but want to ensure I don't mess it up.

Thanks!

Comments

• bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    I would dry brine to try to keep as much moisture in it as possible. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I would hit the search function here or thru google, read a few threads and decide which way you want to go. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • onpoint456
    onpoint456 Posts: 204
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I would hit the search function here or thru google, read a few threads and decide which way you want to go. 
    Now your asking me to do work ;) it's Friday I'm trying to work as little as possible.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I would put it in the freezer and go pick up a prime packer at Costco. Unless the challenge includes that specific piece of meat. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Grind it up for burgers and add short rib meat to it.  Or, if you have to cook that particular cut, I'd inject it w/ the Meat Church Holy Cow Brisket injection.  Let the MSG help retain some moisture :)
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    My neighbor made me a deal this week-  I'll go by two briskets, cook one for me for my party and keep the other.  Easy enough right.

Me- go to HEB and buy this brisket and this size- AND Look for the Wagyu theyve had recently

Neighbor- I went to RD and bought (2) 9# briskets

Me- um those are really small, especially after you trim them

Neighbor- Brings them over last night seasoned.

Me- why did you season the 2nd one?  I wasnt sure I wanted it cooked yet.

Neighbor- oh... also I watched a youtube video on trimming.  One of them came apart at the point from the flat.

Me (This AM)- Opens Covered Foil Pan and sees what appears to be two racks of ribs.

Me (@ 3 hours into cook after checking remote temp)- Texting neighbor- these are going to be done way before I thought they were. 

This is (2) "Briskets" on a LGBE.

This is now the 3rd time he got the raw brisket in a way I asked him not to.  Next time he asks I'll just saying give me the $60 and I'll take care of it.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Time for a new neighbor or let him tend the BGE for an all-night brisket cook after you have it dialed in.  Talk about watching paint dry.  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • onpoint456
    onpoint456 Posts: 204
    Options
    Here goes nothing