Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions for New BGE'ers First cook

Redneck
Redneck Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After surfing the Achrives I came to the conclusion that there may be a need to add everyone's suggestions on what a they think the first cook should be.[p]Because I believe any new venture should be a successful one, I think anything ( burgers, steaks, chicken...ect) cooked direct would be the ticket. This will lead up to bigger and better successful Eggperiences.[p]Just wanted all of your input on the subject.[p]Redneck

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Redneck,
    Go to TimM's site (link below), and select "pork tenderloins" from the menu. Those are nearly foolproof, make a great first cook, and are mighty tasty and fork tender.
    Good luck, you will probably get several suggestions.
    NB

[ul][li]Tim's Pad[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Redneck, My dealer told me to do a roastd chicken at 350 to 375 degrees dome temperature intil internal temp of 170 degrees. Season bird the same way you are used to doing in oven and that will give you a good comparison on the difference of the finished product. Maybe try no smoking wood for first try and taste the flavor the lump imparts on the bird. Poultry takes smoke quite easly so maybe you should go with a plain cook first. Inderct cook with firebricks or in drip pan to prevent flareups. My opinion only, you'll get plenty more then you'll really be confused Welcome and good luck,you'll have it down in no time. Painter

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Redneck,[p]Welcome and congratulations. The first cook should be something that gives a hint of the capablilities of what your Egg can do, yet be simple so the first experience is successful.[p]Since temperature control is something that takes a little practice to master and cooking in the Egg is best done with the dome closed, I would suggest that a nice steak is the ticket for a first cook. The cook requires minimal temperature control, flipping is only done once, the cook is done entirely by timing, and the Egg shines at making an impressive steak.[p]This was my first cook and I may be a bit partial. It was excellent.[p]Spin[p]

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Spin, This poor guy does't realize what he probably got himself into. His meat cutter or grocery store will wonder why he's coming in a lot more often than ever. Keeps the grocery economy going any way. Another good suggestion on the steaks, pizza in his future! Painter[p]

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Painter,[p]I've gotten myself into much worse without realizing it :-). I take my hat off to him as a whole new world of possibilities are opening up. Pizza is certainly among them.[p]Spin

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Redneck,[p]If pushed up against a wall, I'd say do a steak as a first cook. Lately, though, I'm getting big into pork loins. Inject that baby with a flavorful liquid (I've used Citrus Splash and, during a slightly sillier mood, McCormick's Mesquite marinade...though that one's a little tougher on the injector...).[p]Anyway, inject the you-know-what out of the loin and season with salt, pepper, and some other bbq seasonings if you prefer (cayenne, paprika, some herbs, etc) or use any of the CharCrust variants.[p]Throw this hunk o' pork on a rack over an el cheapo tin drip pan or even one fashioned out of aluminum foil. Cook over your favorite wood until about 150-155ish internal temp. I like to let the cooking temp slowly rise from 150* to the 300* range.[p]Now that I'm looking back at this post, it looks a little more complicated than it is. In summary:
    -Inject Big Pork with liquid
    -Season Big Pork with salt/pepper/???
    -Light Egg, add wood, throw Big Pork on rack over pan and let temp rise until about 300*.
    -Remove big pork at proper internal temp.[p]Suggested Side(s): Beer(s)[p]The result is a hunk o' pork that will be fun for the whole family. The first time I did this I amused my guests by carving the pork out in the open. The sheer volume of juice on the plate was truly a sight to behold.[p]Good luck,
    Cornfed

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Redneck,
    What do you want to cook?? That is what you should do, not what someone else wants you to try!!! When you decide tell us and we will walk you through the process to achieve outstatnding results. There is nothing hard to do on the EGG.

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    JJ,Thats not entirely true sir!!!!![p]I tryed frying an egg on my BGE last Sunday and it just kept falling through the damn grate![p]Mop!

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Mop,
    You been sniffing too much diesel fuel!!

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Now that wasn`t very nice sir!
    I just made a little joke and you got a little grumpy on me!
    No need for that.
    We are all here for the purpose of BBQ right?
    When people start making comments like the one you did, Well, it causes friction. Thats when we have to take a step back and look at why we are here on this forum.
    Have a super night and don`t forget to turn down your furnace to conserve!......[p]jug-up!
    Mop!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Spin, I can offer no asides to that one..! Well done..
    C~W

• Redneck
    Redneck Posts: 20
    Thanks, to all.[p]I am ready to fire this baby up this weekend. Doing some trial controled tem ranges first. I guess the engineer in me has to come out. [p]Redneck.