Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Breaking down the Japanese A5 packer brisket

The A5 packer brisket project has officially kicked off.  I previously posted 4 pics shortly after I received it to show what the marbling looked like.  29.76 lbs and 27.5 inches of fatty goodness:

I ended up removing the neck meat and brisket (point) extension, which weighed in at 5 lbs. 13.9 oz, 

and some trim (point and rib meat) which totalled 3 lbs. 5 oz,

leaving a brisket that weighs in at just under 20lbs.

Tomorrow I will grind up the trim for burgers, but the rib meat is going to get some special treatment, as I can't bring myself to grind this up:

For those who can't tell what I'm doing with the brisket and extension meat, it is being dry aged using Umai dry bags.
It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
Egging in the Atlanta GA region
Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com

Comments

• gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Looking forward to the adventure!
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • FSUMark
    FSUMark Posts: 35
    I have to ask, as I've just taken this up as a hobby......is there much of a point of dry aging this quality of a cut? 
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    FSUMark said:
    I have to ask, as I've just taken this up as a hobby......is there much of a point of dry aging this quality of a cut? 
    @FSUMark The amount of intramuscular fat, combined with a sizable fat cover on both the point and the flat side, make this the perfect cut to dry age.  A5 Wagyu tends to be a bit mild in beefy flavor and dry aging it will amp that up a bit.  Plus this is a good way for me to try to get this thing to shrink in size so that it will fit on the LBGE.
    Arteflame grill grate

• FSUMark
    smokingal said:
    FSUMark said:
    @FSUMark The amount of intramuscular fat, combined with a sizable fat cover on both the point and the flat side, make this the perfect cut to dry age.  A5 Wagyu tends to be a bit mild in beefy flavor and dry aging it will amp that up a bit.  Plus this is a good way for me to try to get this thing to shrink in size so that it will fit on the LBGE.
    Thanks for the response! I was under the impression that dry aging mostly just made whatever cut more tender
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    This is a fascinating thread.  I’m looking forward to following this.  Thanks for posting @smokingal
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • smokingal
    FSUMark said:
    smokingal said:
    FSUMark said:
    Thanks for the response! I was under the impression that dry aging mostly just made whatever cut more tender
    @FSUMark An increase in tenderness is definitely another end result, but I don't think I'll notice that with this cut.
    Arteflame grill grate

• FSUMark
    smokingal said:
    FSUMark said:
    smokingal said:
    FSUMark said:
    @FSUMark An increase in tenderness is definitely another end result, but I don't think I'll notice that with this cut.
    I look forward to hearing about the results!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    and here I always just put the v rack under my briskets to get them to fit on a LBGE!  I can't wait to see what you to this!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Hooollleeee chit! 

That's all I have to say :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Incredible!  Where did you get this from?  Are you making it for a special occasion? 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    How long is the dry age plan? 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Yup this will be awesome
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nice.

If you low and slow after dry aging, I think you'll find it will cook even faster than a typical wagyu, which cooks fast.  Briskets lose plenty of water during the cook, typically, which will concentrate flavor some.  The tenderness increase you won't notice because....low and slow.  

What you will notice the most, in my guess, is the flavor profile from the dry age.  The autolysis from the aging and enzymes will increase the umami and create all kinds of new interesting chemicals.
    @GoooDawgs Crowdcow.  The brisket might possibly be used for a special occasion.

@milesvdustin The almost 6 lb brisket extension will go for at least 30 days.  I haven't decided on the time frame for the whole brisket.

Arteflame grill grate

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Underway on quite the journey for sure.  This will become an epic adventure.  Following to the many different finish-lines of culinary excellence. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    And I thought SRF was extravagant . . . 

Following!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    Knife and fork in hand...Can't wait.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • WOW . . . what an adventure awaits
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That looks insanely good.  I get it has a caloric
    content approaching butter, but who doesn't love butter?
    edited July 2019
    @smokingal how long did you dry age and if you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase the brisket?  Did you get it from that site that is selling them for $1000 plus?  
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• smokingal
    @mahenryak What I just posted was just a part of what was trimmed from the whole brisket.  Rib meat to be exact.  None of it was dry aged.  The brisket was purchased from CrowdCow.
    Arteflame grill grate

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Beautiful cook!  Can't wait to see the brisket.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    And she's off.  Great creative cook right there.  Congrats.  The marbling is incredible.  You will definitely have continual fun with this project. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    I feel like bumping this back to page one just for the fries 🍟- great looking cook. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    OMG.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited July 2019
    smokingal said:
    @mahenryak What I just posted was just a part of what was trimmed from the whole brisket.  Rib meat to be exact.  None of it was dry aged.  The brisket was purchased from CrowdCow.
    I see.  Thank you and I forgot to add that it does look delicious.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• smokingal
    It made weight!  Well, close enough.  108 days thus far.  Longest time I've ever dry aged anything.  It's like one of those wax food sculptures except it has heft to it and smells devine.

Arteflame grill grate

• This entire thread is fascinating. Thanks for sharing.
    Stillwater, MN