Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Minimax used versus new

Options
 I’ve been on the market for a minimax to add beside my XL for quite some time.  I found one locally that has only been used a couple of times in great condition for $325. (No cracks, carrier grates ash tools etc included) At that price should I still consider a new unit from dealer or is this deal to good to pass up? 

Thanks,
Alex

Comments

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    No warranty brah!
  • AlexCapote
    Options
     I guess the better question is… Is that warranty worth $300? 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Rule of thumb around here is 50% of retail cost is the acceptable rate, with accessories thrown in as lagniappe.  Since you already have an XL, you are aware of the potential for breaks, cracks, etc.  I think the smaller eggs tend to have less issues, but that's just anecdotal from reading stuff on here.  If you want a minimax, I'd offer $300 and get it.
    NOLA
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,354
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Add 75 bucks to that and go to Costco and grab a KJ Jr during the roadshow. I want the warranty 

Oh no, I think I just started another war 😎
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    ColtsFan said:

Way to go man...  way to go. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,195
    Options
    I’d buy it. Chances are that the bottom 3 pieces of the egg won’t all be compromised. One or two might. You get lifetime warranty on replacement ceramics. If you are unlucky in needing the ring, base, and firebox, I think their price could be very close to $300. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I was thinking to myself about 3-4 months ago about no one reporting cracks with the MM on here that I can remember.  
    I went to do a thorough clean out last week, and found the firebox is cracked all the way down about 1/3 the way around from the factory split. No idea what the cost is, but figure I should get the replacement sooner rather than later.  Wonder what that cost would be out of curiosity.

$325 is not a bad price, but coltsfan has a valid point. 
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • WVsmokin
    WVsmokin Posts: 30
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    ColtsFan said:

Vow to only burn Cowboy Lump in it and really get things rolling while you're at it.   =)
  • Kitarkus
    Kitarkus Posts: 181
    Options
    I'd buy it and wouldn't hesitate for a minute. I've never used the warranty and I've had a large for many many years. But my mini max used for 300 bucks. Some of the best $300 I ever spent
  • AlexCapote
    Options
    Thanks- I’m going for it. Im sure I will love the MM 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Thanks- I’m going for it. Im sure I will love the MM 
    I love mine. I’d probably get a small or a KJ jr for the extra clearance if I did it again. 

Eventually I replaced the fire ring with the newer shorter ring which drops the grate even closer to the coals. 

With a KAB and a PS woo it’s become very, very handy and I like it. Just count on that in your budget 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,218
    Options
    The smaller eggs seem to hold up better as far as cracking is concerned. Just a function of the amount of thermal mass and the propensity of having a a void in the ceramic
    that ultimately causes a crack. 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    The smaller eggs seem to hold up better as far as cracking is concerned. Just a function of the amount of thermal mass and the propensity of having a a void in the ceramic
    True but the MM nest doesn’t have enough clearance to do searing temps on a wood table without protection. I have shattered a tile underneath it, not as much air gap as the large nest 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,218
    Options
    True but the MM nest doesn’t have enough clearance to do searing temps on a wood table without protection. I have shattered a tile underneath it, not as much air gap as the large nest 
    Add some bolt on isolation pads to the feet to raise it 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I use my MM mostly for searing.  A standard tile under its feet for a couple of years and no problem.  But I believe you.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    I have an XL too and have been looking for a MM to pop up. At $325 I'd buy it. They don't come used often.
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • AlexCapote
    Options
    Picked up the MM today and love it. It’s in great shape, very lightly used...
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Excellent, someone more familiar can help with this...Old handle or new handle on this one? There were issues with the old handles failing by bolt pulling out.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,195
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Excellent, someone more familiar can help with this...Old handle or new handle on this one? There were issues with the old handles failing by bolt pulling out.
    I think mines the newer style. It’s a hex head bolt on both sides. 

Congrats @AlexCapote, thats a nice score.
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Amazing. Congratulations