Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crispy Skin Chicken

Options
kent8888
kent8888 Posts: 16
I had good luck yesterday with crisp skin and very tender moist meat. I believe the key to the crisp skin was a very long uncovered refrigeration. I washed and dried the chicken the day before and gave it about 24 hours in the refrigerator. 2 hours before cooking I coated it with olive oil and BGE Zentsational rub. The rub has a nice combination ginger, sesame and other spices. 
We were very happy with the result, even though my cooking technique left a lot to be desired. Although, I thought the temp was stable at 350, when the bird went in I had a drop to a grill temp of 270. Most of the 1 hour 20 minute cooking was with a slowly rising temperature, finally getting to a grill temp of 410 and internal breast of 165. 
I guess you have to cook with the temperature you have not the one you planned for.

Sacramento, California

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    That is one fine looking bird..Great post
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    however you did it you got there looks just fine
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    You're going to get a drop in temperature when you add meat, especially if its cold coming out of the fridge. Don't fight it, just let the Egg do its thing. If I have it stabilized before adding meat, I don't even look at the thermometer after I add. 350 works for chicken, but don't be scared to bump it up and cook it faster. I generally go 400 at least with my chicken, but then again I use an adjustable rig and cook it raised direct above the felt level.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    @kent8888 nicely done on the bird.  I think you're right on with the "dry aging" of the bird.  I've read a lot of posts here suggesting that and I've been having good success with that as well!
    NC - LBGE
  • kent8888
    kent8888 Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks to all for the encouragement and good advice.
    Sacramento, California