Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lodge Blacklock - new premium product line

HeavyG
HeavyG Posts: 10,344
edited July 2019 in Off Topic
A lot of small manufacturers have been bringing interesting new designs to market and charging triple the price, or more (sometimes much more), of what has been commonly available in the market over the last few decades from the market leader Lodge.

Apparently Lodge has noticed that  "boutique" cast iron market and has decided to jump in and get a piece of that pie by introducing a new line called Blacklock. Thinner, lighter, and significantly more expensive than their "bread and butter" skillets. Ooooh, they're also Triple seasoned™. Personally, I'll wait until they release their Quadruple seasoned™ line.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

Comments

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    I’m no expert, but these seem reasonably priced compared to the other ‘boutique’ lines out there like smithed.  I still can find old Wagner and griswold for less though. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    It's a start. Hard to tell if they finally started grinding the cooking surface smooth. Looks like maybe not.

I'll just head to my local antique shop and pick up a Gris or Wagner. 20-30 bucks or so for a #10 skillet. Pre-seasoned from YEARS of use by someone's Granny.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    It’s the shock-top of ci.  Very nice.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    It’s comical that these companies think they are reinventing the cast iron pan when all they are doing is chasing a 100+ yr old design. 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited July 2019
    I got super excited until I clicked the link. These don't look "premium" at all... looks like the regular line with worse handles. Is the surface even polished? Looks like they're ripping off Staub's aesthetic with the dutch oven.  
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    it doesn't look like the cooking surface is milled.  screw this crap
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited July 2019
    If they can get back to the overall weight and feel of an old Griswold or Ware I'm all in.  The seasoning will come and go as we all know.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Triple seasoned, light weight. 

Who give a F?

Lightweight and milled.  Or you aren't in the ballpark.
    looks like the handle is easier to cut off than the older style lodges
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    edited July 2019
    I was checking these out yesterday and I just don't see it for the price. I'm sure they are trying to compete with those other $100 CI companies but I like my Lodge stuff for the cheap price. It's too easy to buy the really old stuff that is smoother, lighter and generally pretty cheap compared to these $100 pans for me to drop that much on a new pan. Not to mention that uneven bottom will make heating evenly a pain unless using gas/fire.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    Triple seasoned, light weight. 

Who give a F?

Lightweight and milled.  Or you aren't in the ballpark.
    Milled... meh. I wish they’d go back to polish grinding.