Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fred’s Tri Tip in the Southeast

Options
booksw
booksw Posts: 470
I have embarked on the journey of Fred’s Tri Tip as described by @1voyager a few weeks ago.  Thank you for the inspiration @1voyager!!  Here in the Southeast it is hard to find Tri Tip so I special ordered it from Whole Foods 2 weeks ago and picked it up today.  I am not sure if that was the right move but so far so good.

I have friends coming over Friday for dinner so I put it in the marinade this afternoon to make it a 5 day soak.  The recipe makes 5 cups of liquid so I couldn’t use my go-to gallon zip lock.

Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs

Comments

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited July 2019
    Options
    @booksw - Awesome. I hope you and your friends will enjoy the results. Please let us know.

BTW - We're celebrating my birthday today. Guess what I cooked...Fred's tri-tip. 
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    1voyager said:
    @booksw - Awesome. I hope you and your friends will enjoy the results. Please let us know.

BTW - We're celebrating my birthday today. Guess what I cooked...Fred's tri-tip. 
    You know I love a good trip down to Charleston. I also love a TriTip. No invite.. Shakin my head. Had to be excellent.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    Any info on this marinade?!? 
    NW IOWA
  • booksw
    Options
    @Philly35- thanks for the question.  When I went back to look it up from a past thread I saw that I had missed an update from @1voyager!  I am going to add the vegemite this evening...  Here is a copy and paste of his post:

“Marinade recipe:

* 1.5 cup brewed dark roast coffee
    * 1 cup Red Wine
    * 1/2 cup Olive oil
    * 1/3 cup Balsamic vinegar
    * 1/3 cup Tamari sauce
    * 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
    * 2 Tbsp Molasses
    * 2 Tbsp Chili powder
    * 2 Tbsp Onion powder
    * 2 Tbsp Paprika powder
    * 2 Tbsp Garlic powder
    * 5 cloves of crushed Garlic

For this experiment I added 1 heaping tablespoon of Vegemite. WOW! What a difference. It doesn't look like a Fred's, but it tastes like it. Vegemite was the missing ingredient.”

Happy birthday @1voyager  !!  

@northGAcock. You are welcome any time! The yeti store is an event (and sort of creepy)- did you have a chance to check it out?
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    booksw said:

@northGAcock. You are welcome any time! The yeti store is an event (and sort of creepy)- did you have a chance to check it out?
    I did a quick in an out. I didn't have enough money on me to get into trouble (by design). My pup did land himself a well deserved (ok maybe not) Boomer Bowl. I really don't think he cares one way or the other as long as something is in it.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    Being from SoCal, I was raised on tri-tip.  All you need for good tri-tip is a little rub, especially this one: http://www.pappyschoice.com/Product%20Page_Pappys%20Choice.htm

No marinade.  Just a little rub, and reverse sear.  Santa Maria style.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    When we were spending our winters in Tampa, we found a local independent butcher who we convinced to order cryovac Tri tips. He did and the price was around 9 bucks a pound. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • booksw
    Options
    As I started with (thanks for the wisdom @lousubcap)- I am on a journey of this cook.  It has not gone as planned and is still ongoing.  @1voyager called for a 5 day marinade and today is day 7- the meat just went on the egg.  I do not have super high hopes but it can’t be bad (I have never had anything bad on the egg unless it burned to a crisp but I didn’t eat that).  So many detours have been taken- because life happens.  First, as I said above, I read on day 1 that I should add vegemite, and I tried to find it.  At the end of day 1 I didn’t have it in hand but I had learned where I could get it (World Market/Cost Plus) and planned to go there on day 2.  That morning I got a text from the friends for whom I was making the tri tip that they had to reschedule.  Wind out of my sails, and lots of other things going on, I never picked up the vegemite.  On day 4 we got a call that my father-in-law was very ill and we got on an airplane.  I considered taking the meat out of the marinade at that point, not sure when I would be able to cook it, but I didn’t bother.  We just came back today, day 7, and the tri tip is now on the grill.

ALSO, when I set out on a new cook journey I generally read and read and read and go over all the pluses and minuses of the plate setter, the temp, sear, flame boss, etc etc.  This time I sort of stumbled into it (its already got so much stacked against it, why not).  I decided to go ahead and use the flame boss just because my brain power is sort of used up and it will help me with guess work (on a meat I have never cooked before that now has a chili-like color).

Here’s the game plan- I am going to cook to internal 115 (?) at 300 degrees, take it off, cover with foil, and then attempt to get the egg up to 600 and right before we are ready to sit down, sear it 90 seconds a side (like I do a T-Rex but that’s easier because the steak is smaller and the egg freshly lit).

If you are still reading- does that sound OK?

Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • booksw
    Options
    Ok another trip up of the tri tip- it cooked faster than I expected and 15 minutes after the flame boss said it was at 90 degrees, it had jumped to 145.  I quickly scooped it off.  I hope the probe was just too close to the fire (I didn’t use the plate setter).  Quick read temp is at 133.  So, she’s resting now and I am not sure I will bother with a sear... smells good!  When I was a kid, I loved steak with A1 Sauce and this sort of reminds me of it.  It won’t be BAD...
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    @booksw - Looks like you did a great job. I hope it turned out well for you.

Funny that you mentioned loving A1 sauce when you were a kid. So did I. Now...ugh!
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    A1 sauce contains raisins. That weirded me out when I learned that.
    Mountain View, CA
  • booksw
    Options
    t

It cooked faster than I expected and I overshot a bit but it was still delicious- well worth the journey!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    Good for you! Things don't always go as planned. I'm glad it turned out good for you.
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    Looks great!
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV