Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CGS Adjustable Rig question

Options
Happy 4th all.  For fathers day my bride gave me an adjustable rig from CGS. I finally got around to unpacking it and putting it together. Question: I put the plate setter on bottom position and then slider next position up so I have about 3inch space between it and stock top grate (so I have two cooking layers). In this configuration, I can't slide out the sliding grill without lifting the whole thing up. Is this normal? I was thinking I would be able to slide it out while whole thing stays in grill.

thx

Z
Central Florida

Comments

• pileit1971
    pileit1971 Posts: 136
    Options
    Go to the CGS website and watch his videos for the AR Rig, very helpful...

Not sure what size you have, but to give myself more space and ease... My setup was this starting at the fire ring moving up...

I had a Large also...

I set the oval ceramic stone on the fire ring... then
    The Stainless round grid, on top of the ceramic.. then..

The Rig then had something to sit on, and it also raised it up so the middle rack was near the felt line and could be slid out....

I also put the drip pan underneath the rig, sitting on the SS circle..

Then the top grid on top of the AR...

I am guessing there is a better way to do it, depending on what extra pieces you have with the AR Rig, this is what worked good for me anytime I was doing multiple level cooks...
    Large BGE
    Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I could be wrong because I’ve never tried,  it I don’t think the platesetter works with the adjustable rib in the large egg. It might in the xl, it seems I have got it to fit in the woo before. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I have an XL.  The Adjustable Rig and the platesetter work fine together.  Not so in the Large from what I understand.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Are you using the original BGR plate setter or the oval stone from CGS that fits in the AR?  

I put the oval stone on the lowest rack, elevated drip pan on top of that using either foil balls or the 3 little legs that came with large (or no drip pan at all for some cooks), then the oval grip at the highest rack notches.  I also have the AR extender and sliding D rack which is what I think you are asking about as far as the sliding functionality (as pileit’s picture shows above).  So rather than the regular round rack at top you have the sliding D rack up in the dome that gives you access to the rack below.  

Here are some pics with a few different configurations.  

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Adjustable rig is not made
    to work with the platesetter in a large bge. It is made to replace the platesetter for indirect cooks. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • drumdudeguy
    drumdudeguy Posts: 165
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I have the Adjustable Rig but I always use the Standard Woo with handles (not PSWoo) with a 16” round stone. I just like the simplicity. I dislike the plate setter. Too many burned edges. https://ceramicgrillstore.com/pages/woo-rings-standard-styles-for-ceramic-kamado-grills
    Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    What @The Cen-Tex Smoker said. 
    New Orleans LA
  • zman51
    zman51 Posts: 133
    Options
    Thanks all. I am not trying to use the bge plate setter with this adjustable rig. I am using the oval stone that came with it. Just looking for a way to slide the one rack out which right now is below the felt line. Thanks for the tips.
    Central Florida
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    to work with the platesetter in a large bge. It is made to replace the platesetter for indirect cooks. 
    Right.  In a large, you can put an oval stone in the lowest level, or (what I do) you can get a spider with the round stone.

The spider option gives you 3 levels on the AR, and an additional level on the extender (though you can't use all 4 levels unless you are cooking something really flat, like jerky).
    NOLA
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    @Cornholio your grate and stone’s cleanliness puts mine to shame. mine is very....seasoned in drippings.
    Dunedin, FL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Right.  In a large, you can put an oval stone in the lowest level, or (what I do) you can get a spider with the round stone.

The spider option gives you 3 levels on the AR, and an additional level on the extender (though you can't use all 4 levels unless you are cooking something really flat, like jerky).
    Yep. I use all those setups. Love it. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    Oh hell, just buy the spider, woo and the AR 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!