Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looftlighter - Worth it?

2»

Comments

• This is the fourth summer I’ve used my looflighter. I have melted the shield on the end, but it still works fine. Like some others, I like the way the fan drives the fire deep into the coals quickly. Will buy another one if this craps out, as long as I have a place to plug it in
  • lerxst6
    lerxst6 Posts: 6
    I like the Looftlighter. I’ve had it since Christmas - much quicker than the squares. Like others said - my egg is close enough to an outlet so no big deal for me. 
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Lots of ways to skin this cat. That said, we have sold plenty and have yet to receive one negative comment. Egg sells a couple versions as well. One is butane if the cord is an issue. 
    I bought mine at your store several years ago and it is still going strong.
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    I switched from the looftlighter to the JJ George torch.  I find they take the same time to light the egg, but with the torch I don't have to worry about the cord.
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    I’ve never actually used a looflighter, but I have used a torch. Personally, I think your rubbing alcohol and cotton ball method is solid. I like to light and walk away. Lately I’ve been using Rutland Safe Lite Fire Starter squares.  They are basically the same thing as the BGE squares at a fraction of the cost.  $19 for a pack of 144 on Amazon.  
    Been using these for the past couple of years. Tractor Supply sells the 144 count for a little over $10 when on sale. I can break them in half when lighting  the mini or small; the large I use a full one. I still like the chimney stove, but these starters are more convenient.
  • chappy319
    chappy319 Posts: 50
    I have one. To be honest, a 1500 watt heat gun works just as well.
  • whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    I just used my harbor Freight torch for the first time this past weekend and it worked great. Lit the lump nice and evenly, long hose was helpful. I had to carry the propane tank over and back but I plan to use it a lot. Was a little over $20 with coupon.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    I had one and loved it...last about two years.  Switched to a gas torch, and frankly miss the Looflighter and may get another one.  
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    I have had mine for at least 6 years.  Still works perfectly.
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    I've had this thing for something like ten years, great investment.

• booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    I had a looflighter for several years and the end squashed in from touching the coals but it still worked great and I didn’t care.  It stopped working a few months ago and we replaced it with the BGE branded looflighter and I like it better because it has the option of fan with or without heat.  I did a low and slow yesterday (I use the firelighter squares for low and slow) and the fire started to go out after I set the meat- I used the no-heat fan option of the looflighter underneath to get it going again.
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    I have been using one for 5+ years and it’s OK, but obvi you are stuck holding button down for 3 mins or so why it’s starting . . The cheapo electric wand starter was nice bc I could stick deep in coals and get a small task down like water plants etc etc 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    Here's what works for me. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    I've always used BGE version while at home as my egg is next to an outlet never had any problems going on 3 years now. I use safe lite when not at home both work great. The sparking can get annoying but Im so immune to it now that I didn't even realized it sparked until I read someones post pointing out the sparks
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18