Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DIZZY PIG Salt Free Rub

danny285
danny285 Posts: 360
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone had experience with the dizzy pig salt free rubs, as a person that has to watch salt intake was wondering about the taste of this product. as most rubs are very high in salt.

Comments

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    I've used some and don't find much difference from the non-salt-free rubs.

I'll add here that Chris has said in the past (if I correctly understood him) that most of the DP rubs do not have a large salt component. That was said a couple years ago in response to my spouse's complaint that she didn't like Raising the Steaks because it tastes so salty.
  • newegg
    newegg Posts: 78
    Bought the salt free and found them to be great. Use them often to avoid too much salt. All Dizzy Pigs stuff is great. Glad they have a salt free. :)
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    I just used some as part of the Amazing Ribs Last meal Ribs recipe. Kosher Salt for the dry brine and then the DP Salt Free for the spice rub. Much better than the Memphis rub recipe IMO.

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    I have salt adverse taste buds and haven’t had an issue with any of the DP rubs.  Been using them for ever with great results. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Love them!  Only slightly more expensive, then you can add salt to your liking, so it's a helluva deal.  We carry all of them in our store.  Great rubs, great company.
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Adding them to the list of seasonings to give a try. Before I order any I'll see if the store I got my BGE from has them. I know they have a selection of such things, but I don't know if they carry these. I'd prefer to be able to purchase local instead of ordering online. 
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • stlcharcoal
    The easiest way for me to sell DP rubs in my store is to show people the ingredient list.  On most "SPICES" is the first ingredient.  Look at any spice mix at the grocery store and "SALT, SUGAR, [and oftentimes] PAPRIKA" is always the first two or three, then "SPICES".  So the sticker shock is higher, but it lasts you longer, because you're not paying for cheap filler.
  • Love DP rubs. I think I have about 15-20 bottles on hand as every flavor has it’s purpose in the kitchen. 
    Atlanta, GA 

LBGE, Mini-Max, Mini, 1995 BGE Chiminea, 22" Blackstone, Weber Genesis E-310. 
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Thanks for the kind words y'all! @danny285 with the salt-free options you are in total control. As was mentioned above, most of our stuff is low in salt. We do show the nutritional panels on our website which should help you choosing the blends with very low salt. Happy cooking! Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    @Nature Boy, Chris, I assume it was overlooked or a typo, but the sodium content listed for both Original and low salt Dizzy Dust is the same, 133 mg per 1/4 tsp.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    @Carolina Q  not sure I see what you are referring to. The Salt-Free Dizzy Dust lists 0g salt. The original, coarse and spicy are all 133mg. Thanks man!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Carolina Q
    @Carolina Q  not sure I see what you are referring to. The Salt-Free Dizzy Dust lists 0g salt. The original, coarse and spicy are all 133mg. Thanks man!

The low salt version. I assume it should be less than the original?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stlcharcoal

There is the regular (course, spicy, original), and the no-salt version of Dizzy Dust.  There is no "reduced sodium version".

But even the regular is lower than most supermarket shelf cheap rubs (because those are full of salt, sugar, and paprika to keep the cost down.)
  • Carolina Q

There is the regular (course, spicy, original), and the no-salt version of Dizzy Dust.  There is no "reduced sodium version".
    Well, that's not what the web site says. Click "See all our spices here", then click "Low Salt". Select Dizzy Dust and it says 133mg Na, same as the Original DD. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824

Well, that's not what the web site says. Click "See all our spices here", then click "Low Salt". Select Dizzy Dust and it says 133mg Na, same as the Original DD. 

It appears that the original recipes meet the FDA guidelines to be considered low sodium.  Those are the originals, not a different product.
    NOLA
  • stlcharcoal

That means which of their 20+ spices have the least amount of salt.  It's an attribute of original Dizzy Dust, not a special version.

Just like if you click "sugar free", you get Cow Lick and several others pop up.  There isn't a special version of sugar free Cow Lick, the original is sugar fee.