Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE standard or optional equipment

mangoango
mangoango Posts: 3
edited November -1 in Pre-Sale Questions
I'm interested in buying a medium size Big Green Egg, but I'm not clear on what equipment is included or optional. Do all BGE's come with the daisy wheel metal top? Is the external temp gauge included or is it an optional item?

I realize that those items are listed under EggCessories, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the items aren't included with every BGE. Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you.

Mike

Comments

• I bought my medium egg locally (nothern Virginia) and I had, basically a choice of two sellers near me. The local Barbecues Galore had only a large, and virtually everything (including daisy wheel, ash tool, video, grill lifter, thermometer) was EXTRA.
    Another local dealer had a medium, which came with a dome thermometer and video. My guess is that "it depends" on how your dealer sells them and/or what you can talk them into. When I unpacked my egg I found a checklist which seemed to indicate that the following were to be included from the factory:

3 feet
    bottom (base)
    lid
    spring assisted bands
    thermometer
    top (dome)
    top (where the daisy wheel would go, also, I believe, seals better than daisy wheel when you want to "kill" the fire)

Anyone else bought one recently? Have I missed something?

I don't know that any of this helps you much; hopefully some seasoned veteran out there will be more helpful.

Thanks,

The Rev
  • mangoango
    mangoango Posts: 3
    Thanks Rev, that's the kind of information I was hoping for. I had the same experience at the BBQ Galore that I visited - a lot of nickel and diming for accessories that I felt should've been included. In fact, they want to charge me an additional $38.50 shipping fee for the medium BGE since they don't stock it, making it a custom order.

There's one other dealer in my area (San Diego, CA) besides BBQ Galore. Hopefully their package deal is more competitive. If not, I may end up getting the large BGE because it seems more cost effective. (I bet that's what BBQ Galore wants me to think.)
  • I was deciding between the medium and large, settling on the large. You don't realize how much bigger the grilling area on the large is until you start using it. I also found that local dealers were more competitive on the price for the large since they kept those in stock.
  • I am in the decision making process of Medium BGE and also live in San Diego. We are long time LP users but are thinking of making the switch.

The dealer that I visited was Allen's Fireside on Upas (North Park area off of 30th). They are the BBQ dealer side for Farrell's Fireside in El Cajon. The BGEs were expensive but looked like they were completely set up with the extras. They had the Mini priced at $575 but I think it had all the basic eggcessories included. Check them out and see how they compare. I don't remember exactly how much the Large BGE was but if I had to guess it was in the $900 range but again it included the extras. They didn't have any Mediums either. What were the prices at BBQ Galore were you getting?
    Karen
  • Bought mine as a package deal at BarBQ Galore. Included was:
    XL BGE
    Basic Egg Nest with rollers
    XL Plate Setter
    2 side egg mates (small fold out shelves)
    Ash Cleanout Tool
    1 XL Bag BGE Lump Charcoal
    Package of BGE fire starters
    Total was $1500 plus change.
    I'm not sure if I overpaid or not, although it seemed high. It was definitely made in Mexico, which was stamped in the inside of the ceramic.  If they are charging for every part, including the daisy wheel, find another dealer! Jusy my opine.
    BBQ Galore wanted 60 bucks to assemble, I passed and assembled my own in about 2 hours.
    There was no video CD or DVD inside the sealed factory box on how to assemble.  Just a parts list with the BGE website which has assembly instructions.  Also found the Videos there.  I used my laptop out in the garage and the video was very helpful!  Your call on assembly. It can be a little confusing. After assembly it's quite large and heavy as all get out. You will definatley need help to unload it, move it, get it in the nest, etc. At least I can say for the XL, it's a monster to lift!
    Been cooking at least once a week since fathers day weekend this year, and loving every minute of it!  I had some major complaints about the lack of service and things left off the order, like the plate setter and assembly kit. I called the salesman and asked about what he was gonna do for me, mking all those trips back to the store, he kicked me back a $100 gift card.  Made it hard to complain anymore. 
    :)>-
  • I think there is no package deal, this is so they can nickle and dime you to death. They don't tell you that you get a bag of charcoal and a free BGE hat WOW I did tell the dealer if he wanted to make a sell on the large BGE he would have to deliver and set up, along with the first burn to set the gasket. I also bought the heavy duty nest and the plate setter.. grand total $1300 period, no great deal.

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen