Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

beef short ribs internal temp?

Options
I've had 2 Boston Butts on all day.  My wife's grandmother passed away and I'm cooking for her family tomorrow prior to the funeral.  For dinner tonight, since the grill real estate was occupied, I stacked 6 beef short ribs around the pork and let it smoke for a few hours.  I pulled it off at 200 internal temp and thought it would be fine.  The Thermapen slid in and out with ease, so I thought they were done.  However, they were tough and didn't want to pull off the bone easily.  What internal temp do you normally cook them to?  They tasted great....just weren't falling off the bone.  
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    There is not an “exact” temp, however it usually falls somewhere between 203 and as high as 210 depending on the particular cut, quality and grade. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited June 2019
    Options
    200 should have been fine. A problem I have with short ribs sometimes is the temp probe ending up in fat pockets(which are plentiful)  and giving a falsely elevated temperature reading .  If I’m suspicious based on time , I move the probe around and usually find the real temp. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    I have never been let down by the toothpick (or in your case Thermapen) test.  Surprised by that outcome.  I never have temp'd any rib cook but somewhere north of 200*F is where briskets, chuckies etc release...   FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have only cooked short ribs once. I was out of town with no meat thermo so I just cooked them until a toothpick could be inserted with no resistance in multiple places. Temp unknown, but they were great!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    After running more tests (eating the rest of them after dinner), they were close.  The smaller ones were better than the larger ones.  I think another 5 degrees would have done it.  I'm surprised, with how easily the probe slid into them, that they weren't completely done.  But, we all know how much a few degrees matters, especially with beef.  Oh well.  They tasted good.  I'll let them roll a little longer next time.  Thanks for the replies!

Good news is the 2 pork butts came off just after midnight last night.  We are pulling them now, to serve for dinner to family out of town this evening.  They look awesome.  
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV