Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Grill

Options
Hey everyone, 
I've always used a propane grill.  I've been looking at different brands of Komodo style grills for over a year.  I've read reviews saying one is better than the other but have not gotten a definite answer which way to go.  I'm debating between a BGE and a Broil King Keg.  What makes the BGE the better choice?
Thanks

Comments

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I've only used BGEs, so can't compare.  I agree with @SciAggie that it would be good to compare the warranties very carefully. People do get cracks in kamado cookers, and it's nice to know whether that's covered.
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Welcome @Souless. Take a few hours to look through the forum. Search things that you would see yourself cooking. See what you think about this community and the willingness to help from the members here. Take a look at the warranty for each. Eggfest vs broil king fest. Then hop over to the broil king keg forum, spend a few hours there. By the end of 2 hours I bet your mind is made up. Remember to post pictures when your egg arrives! 
    Snellville, GA

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited June 2019
    Options
    @Souless since you are undecided you might want to check out the BBQ-Brethren site for anecdotal reviews of a multitude of BBQ solutions, if you haven't already.  Blaze is another Kamado that offers a different solution--aluminum versus ceramic.  Some folks on this site have had success with cheaper models, too.  Kamado Joe also has a very nice line of grills. 

On a personal note, I have first hand experience with a cracked BGE base and know that a nice warranty is a good thing when it comes to Kamados.  BGE has that covered.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,659
    edited June 2019
    Options
    My brother in law has had a keg for years.
      Here are a few of my random observations.
        When I have been around him while using it, and he is a awesome cook. He has to use a shop vac blower to keep it going after opening the lid, not sure what is up with that. 
         Also it heated up waaay faster than bge, it is made out of steel so no ceramics to preheat. 
       I don't know about controller availability or aftermarket accessory availability in general for the keg.
      He always uses a water pan for every cook.

That said, the boy cranks out some good eats on that thing, Juicy awesome turkeys etc.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    Go with the BGE.  It's the ultimate cooking experience for a reason.  I've had mine for 3mos now or so.  If you like to cook and like food, you will 100% love the egg!
    NC - LBGE
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I like the BGE because of this forum (and the old one) as well as the warranty.  I don’t know of another product where you can get so much free advice and knowledge from other users.  It is really the reason I got my first BGE 15 years ago.  I had cooked on a Hasty Bake for years before my BGE.  I found myself going to the old forum to get cooking advice, recipes, etc.  even before I purchased my first BGE.  Hasty Bake makes a great product, and I’m glad I still have one.  But they don’t have a community like BGE users. All that to say this - the warranty and this forum adds tremendous value to the BGE.  Best of luck on your new purchase whatever decision you make.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I have had a keg for nine years. It’s a great cooker. It’s rusting out a bit, I’m giving it to my brother. It struggles keeping the temp down compared to an egg. It’s too efficient in my opinion. My vote is the egg, without a doubt. Good luck with your choice. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    How much do you plan on traveling with it? The Keg is awesome if you traveling with it. It fits into your hitch of your vehicle  If it's going to sit in your backyard I'd go BGE. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Get A KJ comes with a ton of extras that BGE will charge you for or does not offer.

• cookingdude555
    Options
    beteez said:
    Get A KJ comes with a ton of extras that BGE will charge you for or does not offer.

When pricing it out when I have bought my eggs, the KJ has been more money with the accessories they "include".  Once pricing for the BGE with accessories was taken into effect, the BGE was cheaper.  This is of course in my area, with my dealer, using a cash discount.  This could vary for each person.  I don't think KJ is cheaper anymore.
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    I have owned dozens of grills and smokers, but my XL still sees the most duty, due to its versatility.  If I only could own 1 cooler (heaven forbid), it would be a BGE or KJ.  Its also a “cult” thing with BGE owners, kind of like owning a Harley!
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    There is always room for a red headed step child.

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Most recent time I have used my keg, it was last month.  Cooked some chicken parts on it, and kielbasa on the  mini max.