Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tomahawk ribeye - worth it?

Yno
Yno Posts: 529

I know these are popular, and I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade. But aside from the WOW factor, these things seem like a waste of money. According to this article https://www.foodbeast.com/news/tomahawk-steak-scam/ the bone is 25% to 30% of the weight. Looking over some web sites, prime tomahawks go for around $25 per pound. Therefore, you would be paying $6.25 to $7.50 per pound for non-edible bone, and $33 to $36 per pound for meat. A quick internet search shows lots of places that sell prime boneless ribeye’s for $12 to $15 per pound.

I used to buy mostly bone-in ribeye’s but changed a while ago to boneless. They are just much easier to deal with, especially for ‘formal’ dinners, and taste just as good. As a disclaimer, I have never had a tomahawk ribeye.

I am prepared to get flamed for this seemingly blasphemous idea. I know someone will post, or at least be thinking “Spend all that money on an Egg but complain about the price of whatever” argument, which doesn’t make much sense to me. Anyway, what are your thoughts?

XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    I do look at the tomahawk "handle extension" on the steak before a buy.  The ones I find at the local Costco have around a 3" handle-not nearly the length of those in the linked video above.  The Costco prime is $13/lb so if the cut is well-marbled I will grab one every month or two.
    No flaming since we all make choices about how to spend the $$.  Rabbit holes abound around here across quite the spectrum.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Are they worth it, probably not.  It's a fun cook to do every once in a while.  I'm lucky that my local butcher actually charges $1.00 less/pound for the tomahawk over the boneless.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    IMHO, It's just for the WOW factor. My youngest wanted a Tomahawk for his birthday last year. $120 later I reverse seared three. They were just bone-in ribeye with a handle.  
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Totally just the "wow" factor and why I never buy them.

I (along with a very prominent butcher that I respect greatly) don't believe there is any significant flavor benefit from having the bone still on at the time of cooking.  The idea that some flavor from the bone magically penetrates and flavors the meat doesn't make sense.  But, it does offer great flame protection and both opportunities and challenges with the cooking process.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    I never did believe that the bone adds any flavor. Neither does Meathead Goldwyn. https://amazingribs.com/technique-and-science/myths/bones-make-meat-better
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I agree with the above. A wow factor for sure. In the end it's just a bone. It's a nice presentation. Especially with guests. You eat with your eyes. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    good choice grade ribeye, even going prime on a ribeye is a waste to me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Intellectually they are a waste. I do cook them occasionally for company just for shock and awe.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    It’s all about the show.  Whether the wow factor is worth it is an individual choice.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Yeah love them
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Waste of money.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• If you like paying for inedible bone, they are a great buy. 
  • Try telling my dog the bone’s not worth the extra money. 
    Snellville, GA

• Azbill
    Azbill Posts: 26
    My dog agrees wholeheartedly' !!!