Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beyond the classic egg tray design

Options
allenguo
allenguo Posts: 5
More than 100 years ago, Canadian Joseph Coyle invented an egg tray that prevented eggs from breaking in transit. This perfect design is used to protect fragile goods. Originally made by hand, it was not changed to machine building until after World War I. The egg tarts we see in the market are designed by British H G Bennett in the late 1950s. They are made of pulp or plastic and set a separate space for each egg. From the antibacterial lined milk cartons to the vacuum packed fish, the food packaging industry is getting better, but there is almost no improvement in egg trays. It can reduce the impact and the cost is low. The traditional egg tray has become the symbol of the egg, even without opening the box.

Conversely, Hungarian design student Eva Valicsek brings a new generation of design.

Her concept is the future of egg packaging, made up of cardboard and a rubber band, designed for college competition and has caught the attention of some commercial organizations.

In order to participate in a challenge at the Institute of Applied Technology at the University of Western Hungary in Sopron, she redesigned the egg tray, which she is currently attending.

“There are a lot of problems with egg trays now,” she said. “The main thing is that it can't be adjusted with the size of the eggs. Small eggs may roll inside the box.”
“The packaging protects the eggs. When we buy the eggs, we also block the sight. We can't see the fruits and vegetables. We can see them. The top is open, this is Valicsek's rethinking. The most important element. "At first I wanted to design a folding box to accommodate eggs of different sizes," she said. "I did a lot of models trying to find the right shape. During this time, I accidentally used a rubber band on the table and realized that I found the perfect solution. ”

The original box was not easy to transport, and Valicsek's design was easily folded for easy transport. “My flat packaging design didn’t use any glue. The box is the basis of the fix.”

Compared to traditional egg boxes that can prevent breakage after crushing or crushing, there is still some doubt about the new design with open tops. But Valicsek believes her design is as strong as the original product.

The egg can be fixed in the box because of the elasticity of the rubber band and the hole in the cardboard. The box will be adjusted according to the size of the egg without breaking. Can withstand the external force of the side, the eggs do not roll off.

The cardboard used by Valicsek is environmentally friendly and recyclable. Her box can be used many times.

She added that the design "is just a concept and has not yet been put into commercial production." But there has been some commercial interest, in part because of the flat packaging design. “I received a call from a Croatian manufacturer before January, and we have started to discuss.”

If you are on holiday to Hvar Island or Dubrovnik in Croatia this summer, please pay attention to the new Valicsek design in the supermarket.

Comments