Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

51 Day Dry Aged Brisket

Options
blairz212
blairz212 Posts: 39
Here’s another one of my dry aging projects.

Started with a large 18.4# prime packer from Costco. Put it in the Umai dry bag with the plan to only go 35 days. Well life happened and I wasn’t able to smoke this beast until this past weekend so it sat for 51 days in the basement fridge. It was pretty ugly looking after I pulled it out of the bag lol but after shaving off the hard outer crust I was very happy with what lies beneath. The point was especially beautiful looking. 

I had bought a flameboss400 about a month ago but couldn’t get it to work so not only was this going to be my first overnight cook but I didn’t even have the controller safety net to fall back on. It was time to man up and just trust I had this. Fired up the egg at 11pm and let it get stabilized.  Rubbed down the brisket with oak ridge black ops seasoning which was suggested to me by a guy at work. I enjoyed the rub and would definitely use it again. By midnight my egg had settled in nicely at 265 and was rolling perfect smoke. I go to put the brisket on and realize it’s way too big for my large egg lol! I didn’t have any bricks or racks to bend it over so I balled up some hd foil and did my best to get the lid closed. I managed to stay awake for another 30 min to see the egg come back to 265

Woke up at 7am and to my relief the egg was still at 265...seriously no change at all! The brisket had shrunk enough so I removed the foil and probed the flat. It was tough and only at 185 so back to bed until 9 :) another probe test and the point is straight buttah the flat was hard to tell because there was so much bark on it. IT was 203-207 so I pulled it And let it rest on a rack for 20min before FTC. This thing was like handling a jiggly jello cake!

FTC for 7 hours before dinner. Right off the bat I cut the flat basically in half, there was a lot juice coming out so I was pleased it wasn’t dried out there was no smoke ring so that was disappointing but it was plenty smokey and I know the ring means nothing. I then separated the point from the remainder of the flat and cut the point in half. That’s where the explosion happened! There was so much juice I could have slip slide across my counter lol

Laid out some select pieces on a cutting board and dinner was served. No sides, no plates, no silverware just caveman style...except for the napkins

So my verdict?? I would do it again but 51 days was too long. The dry age taste was maybe too prominent and the thin part of the flat was not really edible. I also lost a ton of weight during the aging process. I am going to try another one but only 30-35 days. I think next time I might wrap at some point while On the egg. The bark was just a little too hard for me would have liked it a little softer.

All in all was a fun experiment and good eats!

Macomb, MI - LBGE, WSM, blackstone and a Weber gasser

Comments

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    That first pic is funky.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Killer post...thanks for sharing 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • blairz212
    Options
    dmourati said:
    That first pic is funky.
    Once u start dry aging urself u get use to that look. Plus finding out what’s underneath is like opening Christmas presents as a kid haha

• smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    I love dry aged brisket and yours looks delicious.  The first one I did was a SRF for 50 days.  Best brisket and burnt ends I've ever made.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    Options
    Wow thanks for sharing!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    I may have to wander down this road.  I'm in the wet age camp for 3-4 weeks but have not gone into the dry age pool.  Great looking results right there.
    Congrats on taking the challenge and delivering the goods. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Nice report!

You said "I also lost a ton of weight during the aging process." making it sound like a bad thing. The weight loss was merely tasteless water.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    RRP said:
    Nice report!

You said "I also lost a ton of weight during the aging process." making it sound like a bad thing. The weight loss was merely tasteless water.
    I just figured he meant he was shedding body weight because he was waiting for his food to age instead of eating it. 
  • blairz212
    Options
    RRP said:
    Nice report!

I just figured he meant he was shedding body weight because he was waiting for his food to age instead of eating it. 
    Both lol! Going up and down those basement stairs every day helped drop a couple lbs

however I was actually referring to both the moisture content reducing the weight but the killer was the skinny part along the flat had hardened all the way thru so I had to cut off a good hunk prior to putting it in the egg. Maybe a brisket with a thicker flat won’t have this problem. I have another one in the fridge so we shall see

• marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    for a little help with getting a smoke ring, this is a Thirdeye trick, rub down with Tender Quick for 10 minutes and rise thoroughly.  
    HTH
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009