Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Southern Soul BBQ (St Simons, GA)

Options
johnkitchens
johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
I have never been, but I am going on Saturday. I have heard good things, but that was mainly from the "cooks with gas" crowd. I am sure many of you have been. What do you think? What should I get? I am thinking of getting the brisket. 

I plan on bringing home pulled pork, brisket, and sausage. I don't eat out much so this will be a treat for me. (I hope). My daughter has been at St Simons for a week, and the only reason I am going down is to get her. She mentioned that she wanted to eat lunch there so I am killing two birds with one stone so to speak. 

Anyway please let me have your feedback. Positive and negative are both welcome. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's

Comments

• Wpilon
    Wpilon Posts: 42
    edited June 2019
    Options
    My wife and I went a couple years ago. The food was very good, but not exceptional. I had pork and sausage combo. She had ribs. The sides were also very good. The place was PACKED!

Honestly, I think most of the experienced folks on this board could turn out food as good but not perhaps in the same quantities they do.

Rereading that it comes across as maybe a little negative. I didn't intend it to be. Its very good barbecue, its not life changing or anything, but its very good. I'll eat there next time we're on SSI, but I won't drive there from Atlanta just to eat there if you know what I mean.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Thanks @Wpilon. I appreciate the review. I feel the way you do concerning the drive. I am closer than you are, but it is still a 3 hour drive. 

I hope I will enjoy it. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I found the SS recipe for Brunswick Stew in the Washington Post a while back. I made it (with a few changes) and enjoyed it. You might try a side and see if you want to bring some home.

Here's my cook...
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1196282/brunswick-stew

The recipe link in the above post is dead. Here's one that works...
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/southern-soul-brunswick-stew/13833/?utm_term=.ef5f6c235239

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have not been either but definitely on my list to try. I have heard their brunswick stew is really good. 

I would just walk in with this picture and say "1 of these, please"

Image result for southern soul bbq

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• johnkitchens
    Options
    Thanks Michael! 

At lunch time today I received this picture from my daughter via text. 

"It was very good especially the okra."

She loves fried okra, and she went without me. I am still going on Saturday though. 

• johnkitchens
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt that would be a feast! From the pictures that Micheal posted it appears that their Brunswick stew is different from what we have around here. 

We have what is referred to as hash. It is different than the Brunswick stew that a lot of places serve. I have had both, and I prefer hash, but that is probably due to the fact I grew up on it! 

I am going to try their stew though. I hope I like it! 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Worth going for the okra alone if you ask me.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Worth going for the okra alone if you ask me.
    She sure thought so! 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    My next door neighbors have a son and wife who bought a huge home on St Simons a few years back. Every time my neighbors visit then they eat there and bring me a 6oz bottle of Southern Soul Dust. It's not a bad rub and I have used it on butts and ribs. I can't say it is bad - nor particularly all that good for that matter. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt that would be a feast! From the pictures that Micheal posted it appears that their Brunswick stew is different from what we have around here. 

We have what is referred to as hash. It is different than the Brunswick stew that a lot of places serve. I have had both, and I prefer hash, but that is probably due to the fact I grew up on it! 

I am going to try their stew though. I hope I like it! 
    Yeah- Brunswick Stew is one of those things people can be particular about. Sort of like Texans and Chili ;). I have actually done their recipe as well and it is more like a "BBQ Soup".

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I have actually done their recipe as well and it is more like a "BBQ Soup".
    That has been my experience with all of the Brunswick Stew I have tried. I am not knocking it, but I like has over rice so much better.