Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak XL Cut

Options
I saw this next to the regular RO at Walmart and tried a bag.  The chunks were consistently good sized and didn't have the usual 20% of the bag that is just crumbles.   Price was about $16.  I was pleased an plan to buy more.  Good smoke and hot fire too from the air flow and large chunks.

Here is a link from from someone that compared it to regular bag contents:

https://i.imgur.com/tX9r0AR.jpg

Calhoun, GA - LBGE

Comments

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    I love RO for fast cooks.  Very easy to light and get up to temp.  Does burn pretty quickly, though.  Larger pieces would likely help with some longevity.  I'll look out for this. Thanks for sharing.

I will say the KJ Big Blok is some of the best lump I've ever used, and it's reasonably sourced now that Lowe's is selling KJ's.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    The picture shows it as 16 pounds/bag which makes it $1/lb. Rockwood is now on sale at Ace hardware for $20 for a 20 pound bag.  You might want to give it a try also if you have an Ace hardware near you?  If the store doesn't carry it, you can order it online and have it delivered for free to the store.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    I saw the RO XL lump at Walmart earlier this year and was tempted to buy it; however, I have 3 bags of the regular RO lump, 180 pounds of Western Lump ($1 per 30 bag (3 cents/lb) when on clearance), and 18 boxes of Charbroil Center Cut.              
  • sabretooth04
    Options
    Walmart has Royal Oak in 30lbs bags for $17.
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    And 20# bags of B&B for $12.88.