Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Under the paver for 18 years...

Folks wanted to see what my wood looked like under the paver since the egg was sitting right on top of it.  So here it is after 18 years.

Here is my fan helper...

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Good way to get a new house as long as everyone gets out ok.

Ask me how I know...
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    You are lucky that thing didn't light off.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Scary.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Google pyrolysis. 

This is why most of us around here repeatedly recommend a table nest or some other type of air gap. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited June 2019
    Yup, you need an air gap despite what anyone tells you here.
    I bought a relatively new BGE and table from a guy that was lightly used. He had a well ventilated egg sitting on top of a thick piece of granite, which was on top of thick marine grade PVC I think.  Anyway, it had the normal round melt/heat pattern shown by many people and a big crack down the middle of it.

Buy the table nest (below), feet, or any small hard objects you can put underneath the egg.

LBGE/Maryland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    for the high cost of 75 cents you can put 3 quarters between the stone and egg. thats all you really need.  i know....its almost a whole dollar
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    @fishlessman better than no air gap, but I might recommend slightly more than a 1.75mm gap  :)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • KiterTodd
    for the high cost of 75 cents you can put 3 quarters between the stone and egg. thats all you really need.  i know....its almost a whole dollar
    Exactly!
    When I got the table mentioned above, I just used some washers I had on hand while waiting for the table nest to arrive. I actually struggled with just staying with the washers or going to the nest.  I think you are right that any air gap would have been fine.  That table nest puts the egg juuuuuuust a little bit higher that it's hard for my kids to peak in the grill to check on hot dogs and burgers.

If seeing your own table charred didn’t spur an air gap purchase, I don’t think any of our comments and suggestions will. Unfortunately. 
    You're preaching to the choir! Soon as I received that table/egg combo I took care of that situation.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    KiterTodd said:
    Exactly!
    When I got the table mentioned above, I just used some washers I had on hand while waiting for the table nest to arrive. I actually struggled with just staying with the washers or going to the nest.  I think you are right that any air gap would have been fine.  That table nest puts the egg juuuuuuust a little bit higher that it's hard for my kids to peak in the grill to check on hot dogs and burgers.

If seeing your own table charred didn’t spur an air gap purchase, I don’t think any of our comments and suggestions will. Unfortunately. 
    You're preaching to the choir! Soon as I received that table/egg combo I took care of that situation.
    Its no accident that the table nest provides a wider air gap than the old feet. FYI 
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415

Dang, that was close to being a big problem!

• sabretooth04
    sabretooth04 Posts: 46
    edited June 2019
    OK.  New larger paver and now raised.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    are nickels not a better choice?

and you save 60 cents
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    someday there could be money in nickels ;)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    OK.  New larger paver and now raised.
    where did you get the green tabs that raise the egg up?
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • sabretooth04
    sabretooth04 Posts: 46
    edited June 2019
  • KiterTodd
    Its no accident that the table nest provides a wider air gap than the old feet. FYI 
    Good to know!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • pileit1971
    pileit1971 Posts: 136
    So question for the resident experts.... coming up on the final stages of my outdoor kitchen...

Shelf for the egg is built out of metal heavy guage metal studs...

Going to have an XL sitting on a table nest on top of slab of granite underneath sitting on the metal studs... I also was planning on getting piece of granite tile to sit inside the table nest, on top of the granite slab for additional protection heat protection...

Now question I have, do you think I should have a piece of cement/USB Durarock underneath the granite?

Thanks!
    Large BGE
    Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    So question for the resident experts.... coming up on the final stages of my outdoor kitchen...

Shelf for the egg is built out of metal heavy guage metal studs...

Going to have an XL sitting on a table nest on top of slab of granite underneath sitting on the metal studs... I also was planning on getting piece of granite tile to sit inside the table nest, on top of the granite slab for additional protection heat protection...

Now question I have, do you think I should have a piece of cement/USB Durarock underneath the granite?

Thanks!
    More than for heat the durarock will tie the framing together and disperse the load better than just the stone sitting on the heavy gauge framing. Doesn’t sound like you are building with combustible materials. 
  • pileit1971
    Definitely nothing 'combustible' in the area...
    Here is pic of the shelf, it has support on all 4 sides, and the granite company said I do not need to put durarock on top of the counter top either, so thinking it will be more then enough support for the granite on the shelf...

And this second pic is the a piece of the framing/studs.  Not sure what gauge it is, but it is much stronger/better then the metal studs you can get at the big box stores...

Oh and there will be durarock on the back side with another vent, just have not put it on yet...
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Here is pic of the shelf, it has support on all 4 sides, and the granite company said I do not need to put durarock on top of the counter top either, so thinking it will be more then enough support for the granite on the shelf...

And this second pic is the a piece of the framing/studs.  Not sure what gauge it is, but it is much stronger/better then the metal studs you can get at the big box stores...

Oh and there will be durarock on the back side with another vent, just have not put it on yet...

no need for the extra granite tile IMO, the table nest should will give you the heat drop your looking for and the tile will just take away from your overall look.  I would skip the extra piece if it was me

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• pileit1971
    Kent8621 said:

no need for the extra granite tile IMO, the table nest should will give you the heat drop your looking for and the tile will just take away from your overall look.  I would skip the extra piece if it was me

okay, thanks, you are probably right... just thinking it would barely be seen, and would rather have a heat shield that costs $15 crack before the $300 piece of granite...
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    The table nest will keep you from getting the crack on the big piece 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    @Mattman3969 is your local granite expert