Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Pelican cooler sale - OT

Spaightlabs
Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
Don't see these on sale very often...

35 qt Pelican (only in white) for $199.99 vs normal $329.99.

Rogers Sporting Goods  

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/Pelican-Elite-Marine-Cooler-35-qt-White

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Someone talk me off the ledge...as this would be clearly a want vs need purchase.  I am too old for all the demographics this would appeal to but have great business history with Pelicans.  He!!, I might be able to FTC a friggin brisket for several days with this toy B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I do not need another cooler
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Are these better than RTIC coolers? An RTIC 45 is currently on sale (30% off) for $182.  A 65 for $215. Free shipping. White or tan.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Are these better than RTIC coolers? An RTIC 45 is currently on sale (30% off) for $182.  A 65 for $215. Free shipping. White or tan.
    I own both brands. Performance wise I see no difference. The latches on the Pelican are far superior that the rubber straps that RTIC uses. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    I have a couple RTICs, but with a lifetime warranty it's tough to beat the Pelican.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited June 2019
    Pelican has.......
    -latches rather than rubber straps
    -solid handles rather than rope
    -built in hasp/bottle opener
    -captive tie down holes
    -sloped floor for draining
    -hose fitting to drain
    -bear-proof certified
    -10 day ice retention
    -Lifetime warranty from a company that been around for 40 yrs
    -MADE IN THE USA

And when comparing them to Yeti, the number on the cooler is what it actually holds in quarts (i.e. a Pelican 45 holds 45 quarts, whereas a Yeti 45 holds 37 quarts.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    I won't pull the trigger tonight (under the fog of brown water-not too thick, still have some visibility...) but this will happen Monday AM absent  a morning revelation.  @stlcharcoal -thanks for those details.  Never have owned a roto-molded cooler (and no true need) and have resisted all the threads here until now.  However, I figure this will be another toy for the kids to fight over once I'm on the other side.   B)  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    lousubcap said:
    I won't pull the trigger tonight (under the fog of brown water-not too thick, still have some visibility...) but this will happen Monday AM absent  a morning revelation.  @stlcharcoal -thanks for those details.  Never have owned a roto-molded cooler (and no true need) and have resisted all the threads here until now.  However, I figure this will be another toy for the kids to fight over once I'm on the other side.   B)  
    Keep in mind that these are HEAVY. Even when empty. Once you load them up, they can be unwieldy. The Pelican 35 fits easily in one of those folding wagons sold at Costco and Sam’s, but getting that loaded cooler in and out of the car/truck bed ain’t always easy. 

i definitely liked the handles and latches better than the RTIC or Yeti coolers.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    caliking said:
    lousubcap said:
    Keep in mind that these are HEAVY. Even when empty. Once you load them up, they can be unwieldy. The Pelican 35 fits easily in one of those folding wagons sold at Costco and Sam’s, but getting that loaded cooler in and out of the car/truck bed ain’t always easy. 

i definitely liked the handles and latches better than the RTIC or Yeti coolers.  
    Yeah man.....the 45qt filled to capacity is 110#.  And a 45 does not have much room left in it once you ice it up.  The 35qt on that deal is going to be 60-75# on average.

I only order the ones with wheels.  Moving the 80qt around (which can be close to 200#), is no big deal on the wheels.  Pelican's have an axle and heavy wheels.  The cooler sits on feet below the wheels, so until you tilt it up, the wheels are not touching the ground.

For lightweight/soft coolers, my favorite is IceMule.  https://icemulecoolers.com/   I sell the hell out of these to the soccer moms.  Everybody loves them.
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited June 2019
    I was looking at reviews on Amazon regarding the 35-qt cooler and saw this 'hot tip' on one of the early reviews.  Unfortunately, but understandably, their free shipping policy doesn't extend to Alaska so I will be passing on this, but here is the tip:

FWIW

'...But the coolest part about it which I discovered later is that standard steam table pans fit perfectly in the cooler. I use a 1/3 X 6'' deep pan to keep meat and cheese out of the ice. The lip of the pan rests in a groove near the top of the cooler and keeps the pan above the ice. It slides easily side to side to access below it without removing the pan. ...'  (there is a photo of this in the review and it does look pretty slick)

I think this is the pan that the reviewer is probably talking about:
    https://www.amazon.com/Winco-SPT6-Size-Pan-NSF/dp/B001VZ8OF6/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=steam+table+pans&qid=1560127550&s=gateway&sr=8-9
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Have my High Dollar ice chest, but my workhorse is still my Big A$$ Costco Igloo
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    mahenryak said:
    I was looking at reviews on Amazon regarding the 35-qt cooler and saw this 'hot tip' on one of the early reviews.  Unfortunately, but understandably, their free shipping policy doesn't extend to Alaska so I will be passing on this, but here is the tip:

FWIW

'...But the coolest part about it which I discovered later is that standard steam table pans fit perfectly in the cooler. I use a 1/3 X 6'' deep pan to keep meat and cheese out of the ice. The lip of the pan rests in a groove near the top of the cooler and keeps the pan above the ice. It slides easily side to side to access below it without removing the pan. ...'  (there is a photo of this in the review and it does look pretty slick)

I think this is the pan that the reviewer is probably talking about:
    https://www.amazon.com/Winco-SPT6-Size-Pan-NSF/dp/B001VZ8OF6/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=steam+table+pans&qid=1560127550&s=gateway&sr=8-9
    Yep. That is correct. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.