Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole pork shoulders- first time

Options
I have done a bunch of boston butts but decided to do whole pork shoulders this time.   First thing that got my attention was the butcher left the skin on the bottom.  I decided to cut it off along with most of the fat next to it.  I since have read that you should leave it on.  Maybe slice it into one inch squares.   I am doing 2.  One tonight and one tomorrow night.  The good thing is this first one should give me a good idea of the time frame for the second one.  I think I will try the second with the skin on.   Anyone have an opinion as to which is best? 

Comments

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I leave the skin on. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Pics please.

Mountain View, CA
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Skin on. Shallow cut a checkerboard into it prior to the mustard and rub. Indirect at 275 for roughly an hour per pound. I like fruit wood for pork. I used a drip pan, but to each his own. Good luck! The pork shoulder/butt is always a home run. FWIW
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    Options
    If you like bark you will get more with the skin off .