Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT...Tomato Growers

Options
Photo Egg
Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
Novice grower and honestly, not crazy about tomatoes.
Have them in pots on my back deck. They get a fair amount of direct sunshine.
Already harvested 30 or so with no issues. A few small caterpillars to fend off but no big deal. Celeb and Better Boy hybrids.
Last week or so has been hot with very little clouds. I’m trying to keep them watered well but wonder if I’m over watering. 
I have been getting a few with translucent skeletal spots that are soft. Shows up when they start to turn ripe.
Anyone know what’s causing this. Lack of water, too much water, lack of nutrients in soil, chlorine in tap water?
Thanks for any help.

Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I don't know the answer, but you are doing way better than I ever do.
    NOLA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Caliqueen thinks the plants may have a bacterial infection.

She suggests seeking advice from a Facebook group called Texas Fruiting Plant Growers. Let me know if you need an invite to join the group. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    caliking said:
    Caliqueen thinks the plants may have a bacterial infection.

She suggests seeking advice from a Facebook group called Texas Fruiting Plant Growers. Let me know if you need an invite to join the group. 
    Leaning towards sunscald right now after some google searches.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,297
    Options
    One tone thing to note that is unrelated, you need a minimum of a five gallon bucket for those. I second possible sunscald.try moving some of them to the north side of the house or into partial shade.
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    It's just too much sun. (IMO) All I grow myself is tomatoes and peppers. I don't know much, but if they were mine, I'd give them some more shade in the afternoon.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Darian - I'm so jealous! Over the past 53 years Pat and I have tried multiple ways only to have year after year of problems. Oh - yes some years were better, but our yield has always been lousy! 

In in your case too much sun is my suspicion as compared to my issue of too much shade.

Year after year our "farmers market" has been our supplier of those Summer tomatoes we love.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    my growing season is so much different,  im getting a good 14 hours sun and my plants are planted on an actual spring so they get water around the clock.  i need to keep the lower branches trimmed fairly high to keep the air flowing under the plants. all i can think of is tomatoes dont like hot, im good between 60 and 90 degrees for the most part.  just finished planting, its now a race against the short growing season. first time adding pots for me, had 4 extra plants that couldnt go in the raised beds
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I agree with @dharley. It's called sunscald.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    looking at the plants and i dont see suckers growing between the branches, i dont pinch those off till its getting late in the season and i want to force more ripening, everyone i know that sees my plants mentions i should be removing them all season, more suckers is more shade
    fukahwee maine

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Wow, 100 times better then what I've got. We haven't even got ours planted yet, had overnight frost yesterday, hopefully that's the last time.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    poster said:
    Wow, 100 times better then what I've got. We haven't even got ours planted yet, had overnight frost yesterday, hopefully that's the last time.
    started planting the bigger plants two weeks ago, it got really close to frost temps.  figured last weekend it had to start warming up so in went the small tomatoes and the pepper plants. nees some sun
    fukahwee maine