Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sweet and Spicy Grilled Chicken Breasts

Options
Theophan
Theophan Posts: 2,654
edited May 2019 in Poultry
I've probably posted this recipe before, because it's one of my favorites, and it's my wife's very favorite grilled chicken, a recipe of Melissa Clark's, Sweet and Spicy Grilled Chicken Breasts.  She has several recipes where she solves the problem of uneven thickness by pounding them to an even thickness, adds flavor with a rub or marinade, and the grills them like steaks.  Quick, easy, tender, juicy, really good!  I made it again tonight and had to post it because it was so tasty.

This rub also has dry mustard, salt and cayenne, but the main flavors you taste are brown sugar and coriander, which is not a combination I ever would have thought of, but it's delicious!

Comments

• dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    That looks delicious! I love the smell of coriander. Sometimes I just take the jar our to take a whiff. I'll try this Saturday.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice color and cook brother. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    that looks great, i may have to try that.  she's got some good recipes - i highly recommend her ice cream base if you like making ice cream.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I’d be all over that. Looks delicious. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Yeah brother!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Theophan
    Options
    Many thanks for the kind comments!  Sure was good!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Paillards are absolutely the best way to grill a chicken breast.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Looks great - gonna try!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Very nice!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    very interesting, any chance you could post the rub recipe?
    my NY Times free 30 day trail has ended   :s
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Nice work
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Theophan
    Options
    very interesting, any chance you could post the rub recipe?
    No prob:

Sweet and Spicy Grilled Chicken Breasts

Servings: 4 servings Source: Melissa Clark, NY Times 

INGREDIENTS

4 (6-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Rub:

2 tablespoons dark brown sugar

2 teaspoons ground coriander

1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt (don't cut)

1 ½ teaspoons dry mustard powder

¼ teaspoon cayenne

Sauce [I tried it but don't use it]:

1 ½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, more as needed

4 tablespoons Dijon mustard

2 teaspoons minced fresh chives

DIRECTIONS

[The official directions are below.  FWIW, I found the rub became a soupy mess if I put it on ahead of time, so I put it on immediately before grilling.  I grilled these at around 500°, shooting for 160° internal.]

1. Place chicken breasts between two sheets of parchment or plastic wrap. Using a mallet or rolling pin, pound each to an even thickness of 1/2 inch. Do not make them any thinner or they could dry out.

2. In a small bowl, combine sugar, coriander, salt, mustard powder and cayenne. Place chicken breasts in a bowl and rub well with spice mixture. Cover and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours. Remove chicken from fridge while you preheat the grill.

3. Light the grill, building a hot fire, or preheat your gas grill to high. Once grill is fully heated, brush breasts lightly with olive oil and place chicken on the grill. Cook until undersides are browned and chicken is about halfway cooked, 3 to 5 minutes. Flip breasts and grill until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes more.

4. Transfer chicken to a platter. In a small bowl, whisk together mustard and chives. Whisk in 1 1/2 tablespoons oil. Serve chicken with mustard for dipping.

• booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options

FWIW, I found the rub became a soupy mess if I put it on ahead of time

Maybe if you put the chicken in the fridge on a raised rack with a pan under it to catch the moisture so it would “dry brine” and not collect liquid?  I do that with whole chicken for several hours before I cook and it works great

Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • WesJohnson
    WesJohnson Posts: 130
    Options
    That fish looks delicious. 
    I used to be able to name every nut that there was. 
  • Theophan
    Options
    booksw said: Maybe if you put the chicken in the fridge on a raised rack with a pan under it to catch the moisture so it would “dry brine” and not collect liquid?  I do that with whole chicken for several hours before I cook and it works great
    I bet it would work, especially if I started several hours earlier.  I'm just too lazy and "instant gratification" oriented.  <laughing>  I rarely put a rub on something several hours before, or overnight.  I just know that when I put this rub on, and then started the fire, etc., when I got the chicken out of the fridge it was quite wet, which obviously makes it brown less well, especially in a hot-and-fast cook.  So I just put it on right before grilling, now, and I love the result, so I'm not convinced that getting at it several hours earlier would really be worth the trouble.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!  I've read that dry brining helps chicken, and I really ought to try it sometime.