Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large quantities of ribs on XL

Options
i am part of a group of Eggheads who do cooks to raise money a homeless shelter . First year I smoked 10 racks of baby backs , 2 nd year I did 15. This year I am planning on 25-30 racks 
I can do 12 at a time with normal grid set up  and rib rack but have to rotate racks for even cook . Any suggestions on how to get more racks on?
thanks

Comments

• Jonnysouth
    Jonnysouth Posts: 162
    Options
    There’s a picture of like 21 racks or so on an XL all standing on their sides. If I find it, I’ll post it.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Actually, 20 on a large...

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/62119/20-racks-of-ribs
    Username "Unknown" is Chef Wil, the guy who did this.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    Welcome to the Nutt House. Lots of good people here. This group of Eggheads sounds like a shady bunch. 

I would ditch the rack and skewer them together. If you add an adjustable rig from Ceramic Grill Store you could increase your real estate drastically. You would still need to rotate. 

What is your method? 

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/big-green-egg-xl-accessories-by-ceramic-grill-store

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Jonnysouth
    Jonnysouth Posts: 162
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Thanks Carolina Q!
  • Haan76
    Haan76 Posts: 7
    Options
    2-2-1 method at 275
    event starts serving at 11am so I do the first 2 steps day prior and finish last step at the event so participants can see Egg in action as we are also promoting eggs for sale.
    was concerned about leaving in foil over night, but did test run with other Eggheads and no one noticed any difference 
  • Haan76
    Options
    Hey Colts fan, not a shady guy in the bunch! Just a group of church going beer drinking guys that love to get together and cook. And in the process raising money for our local Stability First organization which is a faith based group helping women from all walks of life get back on their feet.
    Hoosier Eggheads supports Colts!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @Haan76 -Welcome aboard and continue to enjoy the journey.  You are doing great work with your fellow eggheads. You should invite them to join the forum.  I'm sure all have plenty to offer regarding cooks and other things BGE (or not) related. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    Hey Jim @Haan76 recognize this guy? Most here will tell you he's a prick :)

Glad to see you joined!

Class meet Jim @Haan76 . He's one of the Eggheads in my hometown where we cook for the local BGE dealer (Ace Hardware) 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Haan76
    Options
    Wouldn’t admit to seeing that guy! Thanks, see you at Cedar Creek!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Welcome aboard. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Cgs   adj rig, two ovals crossbars, rig extender

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Look I love both of my BGEs as much as another egghead. However, to fit more something else will end up lacking. If they are packed in tightly the first thing is airflow around &between the ribs will be restricted along with the normal airflow vortex that virtually all Komado cookers produce.  The sheer thermal mass of more than 12 ribs is enough to plummet the initial holding temperature at least 50 to 75 degrees if not more which is not a huge issue as a chunky brisket can do the same.  Bark will be an issue or a lack thereof as well as inconsistencies throughout unless you play musical ribs for 4-6 hrs and personally that doesn't appeal to me. Look, I get that you want to fit more the egg so it ends up just being one cook and probably it will also keep you from having to have a Cambro on site or fewer. But imho why substitute volume for quality?  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    what ive seen famous daves do at big events is heat them up just before the event in an oven in the foil, pack them in coolers, get the grill hot, remove foil and with a thinned out sauce, baste and flip till they look right to set up the sauce. that last hour of your cook is more like 10 minutes
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it