Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavorā„¢ at:
FacebookĀ  | Ā TwitterĀ  | Ā InstagramĀ  | Ā PinterestĀ  | Ā YoutubeĀ  | Ā Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oh my... a Big Blue Egg?šŸ™€

Options
2Ā»

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm cool with this cooker, I think its a great value, and my friend that has one, loves it.Ā  What I don't get, is how they advertise 24"?Ā  Every charcoal grill cooker I have ever seen measures the cooker by the cooking grate diameter, not the diameter of the cooker.Ā  This is actually slightly larger than a large egg, not comparable to the XL that the 24" diameter would suggest.
    aha- therein lies the rub...

Still cheap.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATXĀ FBTX
  • deekortiz3
    deekortiz3 Posts: 60
    Options
    Can the ā€œplate setterā€ be used with the legs up? The whole cooking grate setup on this thing seems a bit odd to me. Can you shed some light on it?
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Can the ā€œplate setterā€ be used with the legs up? The whole cooking grate setup on this thing seems a bit odd to me. Can you shed some light on it?
    Yes that is the way that I use it.
  • fiber_induced_deuce
    Options
    I'm cool with this cooker, I think its a great value, and my friend that has one, loves it.Ā  What I don't get, is how they advertise 24"?Ā  Every charcoal grill cooker I have ever seen measures the cooker by the cooking grate diameter, not the diameter of the cooker.Ā  This is actually slightly larger than a large egg, not comparable to the XL that the 24" diameter would suggest.
    Thatā€™s like measuring from the taint, itā€™s just not honest advertising.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    looks like my 100 dollar vision kub (mini).Ā  still holding up after 6 years but the side tables need replacing. ceramics and band are still in great shape.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    Options
    Yes... legs up or down. Just like my old large BGE.Ā 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    That top might be metal but keep it clean and handle it carefully. Its really similar to the one I have on a medium vision and it wonā€™t hold up like the ones on the egg. Thats experience talking. That nice little dial that points at the 1,2,3,or 4 will break off surprisingly easy.Ā 

Little Rock, AR

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    HogHeaven said:
    What's the actual diameter of the cooking grid? I saw one at Costco and it looked bigger than my large but not quite as big as I remember an XL to be...
    New Orleans LA
  • HogHeaven
    Options
    Dondgc said:
    HogHeaven said:
    What's the actual diameter of the cooking grid? I saw one at Costco and it looked bigger than my large but not quite as big as I remember an XL to be...
    It comes with 2-20ā€ grates... that have a hinged side if you need to drop in more lump or more wood chunks.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Itā€™s area is about 20% bigger than a large, using Pi R squared.Ā 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Itā€™s not equivalent to an XL.Ā 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    No. An XL is nearly double the size of the large.Ā 
  • HogHeaven
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Itā€™s not as large as the XL BGE... but it can accommodate a long rack of ribs and/or a full packer brisket, without have to trim off the ends to fit on an 18ā€ grate. At $599 I personally found this to be an outstanding value!šŸ„³

The top vent works nicely so far...šŸ‘
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    It looks really nice. I have had the same thoughts. Warranty is 5 years...so that is a downside...but then again it is Costco so you can just return it with your 5 year old Christmas tree.Ā 
    So I guess someone will be shopping for an Egg in 5 years. šŸ˜‰
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    HogHeaven said:
    bgebrent said:
    Itā€™s not as large as the XL BGE... but it can accommodate a long rack of ribs and/or a full packer brisket, without have to trim off the ends to fit on an 18ā€ grate. At $599 I personally found this to be an outstanding value!šŸ„³

The top vent works nicely so far...šŸ‘
    I agree, it is a fabulous value. My beef is with the marketing, not the cooker. They attempt to mislead consumers advertising it to be the same size of an XL. The reality is it sizes between the large, and the XL. This is a great sized cooker, but itā€™s not a full XL. My friend bought his 3-4 years ago, he still loves it and it makes great food from it.Ā 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    My dad has the vision version of that cooker. I much much much prefer the eggĀ 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)