Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Patio Configuration

TEXASBGE2018
TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831

So I know its been done to death but I need a little input from you fine folks. Our house is currently being built so I am getting all kinds of outdoor space ideas running through my head. Our patio will be 20ft x 14ft. The only thing I cant move will be the location of the TV as I specified that location in the blueprints. There are windows all along the back and side walls. Other than that I can configure my outdoor space any way I want. There is a brick support beam in the top right of the diagram.

What do you guys think of the configuration below? Any other ways you can think to arrange it that might flow better? I am even debating whether I want to do the built in island or just leave my egg in a nest and add (2) 304 Stainless Side tables with casters instead. I don't have to have the sink outside as the back door leading to the patio is next to my kitchen. If I do the island what materials do you guys recommend for construction?

Apologies for the crappy old school diagram below. I am at work and don't have my fancy iMac.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I’m not personally a fan of setting an egg in a table or countertop. Either leave it in a neat or leave the front open. Makes it easier if you have to move or disassemble the egg for whatever reason. 

Im assuming the work area will be wired for electricity. Get a few GFCI outlets put in. And you’ve probably already thought about wiring for speakers/audio. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    if possible i would change the 14 feet to 16.  i have 2 living rooms that are 14 feet wide, things dont fit right
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited May 2019
    We all have our opinions... so here's mine

1) Always do "built-in" if given the opportunity. 
    2) A sink in an outdoor kitchen is a mandatory luxury.  Washing utensils and greasy hands without having to open the door and walk inside is worth every penny. If you decide to get a sink, get a really big one. Don't forget access doors to plumbing/gas if used. 
    3) Put outlets everywhere along the back-splash and front. They're easy to add during the build and come in handy for reasons you'll wish you had later if skipped. 
    4) Granite or equivalent counters. Much easier to keep clean than concrete, flagstone etc. You'll be battling pollen, bird poop, mouse turds so make your life easier with a smooth hard surface. 
    5) Pressure treated lumber is fine in a covered patio that's not getting direct rain. Alternatives are steel studs or cinder blocks. Use whatever facade material you want. We used real 2" stone veneers.  Cast stone looks fine at a distance, but up close... wasn't a fan.  
    6) Grills and griddles you put in front of window will dirty up the window. Just keep that in mind. 
    7) Storage, storage, storage. If you do the island, remember it's a big hollow empty space, so utilize that space by putting in plenty of drawers and cabinets to store stuff - tongs, seasonings, oven mitts, outdoor dishes, etc. It's nice not having to cart that stuff back 'n forth from inside the house.  
    8) Trash can! The last thing you want is a Rubbermaid sitting out attracting flies because you didn't plan a place to conceal a trash bin. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Going to be a great space.

I'd echo a number of the points above.

1. Sink is worth the expense.
    2. Electrical, electrical, electrical (GFCI outlets)
    3. I appreciate the aesthetics of a built-in island, but that's just my $0.02
    4. Ours has 8" cement footer with cinder block structure and austin stone on the facade (about 4" stones, not just a veneer).  We've got leuters stone on the top for the countertop and that's the only thing I'd change if doing again.  The maintenance is just a bit higher than I'd like.
    5. Don't build the egg in, build a lower platform to set it on top of (seems to make it easier to get to the back hinges - and move it - if needed.
    6. Storage, you'll need every inch of it.
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • TEXASBGE2018
    if possible i would change the 14 feet to 16.  i have 2 living rooms that are 14 feet wide, things dont fit right

I would love to but at this point the slab is already poured.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Calling @DoubleEgger and his outdoor kitchen garbage can advice. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    Good advice guys!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    Don't go with a grouted tile counter top. Grease & dirt get in the grout. Speaking from experience on this one. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    YEMTrey said:
    Calling @DoubleEgger and his outdoor kitchen garbage can advice. 
    Thanks for the shout out. Here’s a couple of things to think about. 

Where are you planning on eating the food? Is there an outdoor table elsewhere? Is eating outside an important component of your vision for this? 

People like to stand around and congregate during get togethers. Make sure people have ample place to put a drink down while standing around bvllshitting and that the overall layout is conducive for this. 

I’d recommend taping off an equal sized area in your driveway/garage to see how everything fits and how the flow would work. Tape off the built ins and all the furniture and see how it all fits together. 
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Looks like you’ve forgotten  the second eggs home in your design. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• TEXASBGE2018
    ryantt said:
    Looks like you’ve forgotten  the second eggs home in your design. 
    Ya have to figure that one out now. Hahaha

• WesJohnson
    WesJohnson Posts: 130
    HAHAHA!
    I used to be able to name every nut that there was. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    edited May 2019
    HAHAHA!
    @RRP found him.....

• Kelso
    Kelso Posts: 79
    edited May 2019
    Definitely do the sink.  My kitchen is near the outdoor patio kitchen as well, but I use the outdoor sink all the time for washing hands, pans, tongs, etc.  Wouldn't have an outdoor kitchen without a sink.  

Storage...make it happen.  Foil, tongs, electric burner, gloves, parts, timers, temp probes....all kinds of things will need to be stored conveniently.  If you can do the island I would go for it.  

Outlets...put em in.  Make sure one is close to the egg for temp controllers/rotisserie, etc.

Congregating....I had a party shortly after my patio/patio kitchen was completed.  I was still smoking the pork butt as the party got underway.  I paid particular attention throughout the get together where and how people gathered.  To my surprise a lot of people ended up outside the patio counter behind the grill leaning onto the countertop.  So now when I add hardscape for a pool I plan to pour a 4 ft. swatch of concrete behind my grills.  So, think hard about where smokers would go, where women will gather, where folks wanting to hang near the chef would lurk.  Then plan accordingly.

Seating...I've noticed when family comes over that we sit at the outside dinner table more than on our sectional couch, just FYI.

I also looooove having the beer fridge on the patio.

Edit to add pic for reference...people were in the grass on the backside of my gas grill.

Also, my patio is 15x30 IIRC.

XL and a MM.  

League City, Texas
  • Kelso

XL and a MM.  

League City, Texas
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Kelso said:

Good to see this here. We are about to start a backyard project and I have studied this pic and several others for mine.

18x18' gable cover, 2 8' islands, etc
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    I'm admittedly a little jealous when I see these outdoor configurations.  These are all just beautiful examples, as far as I am concerned.  Very nice, indeed.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• What you need on the counters is lots of fresh cut flowers.
    Living life to the fullest in Savannah Georgia
  • TEXASBGE2018
    What you need on the counters is lots of fresh cut flowers.
    I’m sure my better half will take care of that part. I’m only getting a small corner of the porch. She gets most of it.

• TEXASBGE2018
    edited May 2019
    Have any of you installed a regular TV outside on your covered patios? Mine is going to be completely covered and about 15ft from any kind of rain exposure. I don't like the idea of spending $2,000 on a 43" outdoor TV if I can avoid it.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Kelso said:

is that a regular TV or a sunbrite?

• Glad you asked about tv. I have the same question. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I have a 55" Vizio from Sam's  on my lania.  Works like a charm esp from Oct to May when we either don't have hurricanes come thru and it's not balls a$$ hot outside.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited May 2019
    This is how I did my pizza oven with BGE, propane tank in the stainless drawer.  We did this on budget, but if not I would have love to go granite & have sink.  Overall super happy with our new space. EDIT: I just noticed my dogs head in top pic, see it? Lol 

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Kelso
    Kelso said:

is that a regular TV or a sunbrite?
    Just regular TV's, the 65" Vizio is from Overstock, the 49" is some off brand  (can't remember)from Amazon that replaced an LG that I had there. 

The 65" has been out there for 2.5 years, the 49" for about 6 months now.  As you know, Texas has gotten a crap ton of rain this year, no issues.

I also have 4 SONOS speakers mounted in each corner on the patio, no issues with them either for 2.5 years.

OT: I thought LG's were good TV's, but the one I had started flickering and when I began investigating I found out that my issue happens to a lot of LG's.  I won't buy another LG.  
    XL and a MM.  

League City, Texas
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Have any of you installed a regular TV outside on your covered patios? Mine is going to be completely covered and about 15ft from any kind of rain exposure. I don't like the idea of spending $2,000 on a 43" outdoor TV if I can avoid it.
    55” sunbrite. Worth it for the extra brightness that an indoor tv can’t provide. 

My brother had a standard indoor tv mounted outside. It just bit the dust. FWIW

Both my brother and I have covered patios where the TVs are protected from the elements. 

DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • RLS
    RLS Posts: 41
    Agree with Sunvolt and Kelso, sink is a must, if your setup allows hot water and a garbage disposer is a big plus. Under counter space gets used up quick when designing, Find a balance between needed storage and "nice to have" if space starts running tight. I was able to insert a refrigerator and a ice maker and still maintain "needed" space. 

TV's- I'm in the Sam's and Costco camp on this one. I bought two 39" Sanyo  LCD's that are going on their 4th year.

Hope this helps and enjoy the new kitchen when complete.

Rick
    Rick in Tampa
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    I hope it's ok to jump in and ask a very similar question.  My outdoor area will have a crazy good view of a lake.  I have two choices - 1) build my appliances into a wall that borders the house, which means I'll be cooking with my back to the lake, but all items will be well covered; or 2) build my appliances into a wall opposite of the house, which means I'll be facing the lake when I cook, but the area will be barely covered by the roof and rain could blow in on windy days.  The appliances would partially block the view of the lake.  I'm really torn on which approach to take. Thoughts?
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Hub said:
    I hope it's ok to jump in and ask a very similar question.  My outdoor area will have a crazy good view of a lake.  I have two choices - 1) build my appliances into a wall that borders the house, which means I'll be cooking with my back to the lake, but all items will be well covered; or 2) build my appliances into a wall opposite of the house, which means I'll be facing the lake when I cook, but the area will be barely covered by the roof and rain could blow in on windy days.  The appliances would partially block the view of the lake.  I'm really torn on which approach to take. Thoughts?
    Put the appliances against the wall. You can turn around and set a little whenever you feel like it :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.