Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Hinge - Will it fix my underbite?

Options
Got my BGE back in 2014.  Even brand new, it has had a slight underbite, meaning the body of the egg just out further from the lid and I don't get a perfect seal.  Initially, I didn't have leaks.  But last year I had to replace the gasket.  Since I went with the popular Rutland gasket, I'm now having even worse alignment issues.  I have tried adjusting the lid and am unable to move the lid forward to get a good alignment.  

Will the new hinge fix this issue?  Is it more adjustable and easier to align the lid to the body?

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    If it’s beyond an adjustment yes new is needed. Having said that most can be adjusted enough to seal. Mine requires an adjustment about every three months. Still has underbite but seals. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Hogman348
    Hogman348 Posts: 70
    Options
    i recently upgraded my 2013 large egg with the latest hinge system due to the same reasons and it aligned perfectly and seems like a much better design. 
    Woodstock, GA
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    I wish I had replaced my bands earlier. A little north of a hundo if I remember correctly. 
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Dobie said:
    If it’s beyond an adjustment yes new is needed. Having said that most can be adjusted enough to seal. Mine requires an adjustment about every three months. Still has underbite but seals. 
    Mine still has the underbite. The dome aligns perfectly in the back but is about 1/4 inch underbite in the front. I could line it up perfectly in the front but then the back has the underbite, it doesn't seal and the dome scrapes the gasket.

So, it seals and cooks fine but the bottom line is that the new front assembly hides the underbite, it doesn't fix the underbite. It can't fix it because the dome and base aren't matched from a dimension perspective.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • GuitarKidd
    GuitarKidd Posts: 2
    Options
    I received the new hinge.  Found it on amazon.com for $159.99 which I thought was a fantastic price.  Here is the link https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J2PGQR2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The hinge went on very easily and I was able to align the lid perfectly with the base and tightened every thing up.  Now I have a great seal.  

I really like the new hinge and how it allows the weight of the lid to create the seal with the rutland gasket installed.  
  • Orsi
    Orsi Posts: 15
    Options
    I think the very first thing is to check that the lid and base are the same diameter. If they are not then I would talk to BGE. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I received the new hinge.  Found it on amazon.com for $159.99 which I thought was a fantastic price.  Here is the link https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J2PGQR2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The hinge went on very easily and I was able to align the lid perfectly with the base and tightened every thing up.  Now I have a great seal.  

I really like the new hinge and how it allows the weight of the lid to create the seal with the rutland gasket installed.  

The price from my dealer was $129.

NOLA