Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini max reggulator - I like it

Options

It even works on my mini max. I might get one for it, too. 

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I’m all sorts of confused. Does it make that much of a difference vs. whatever came with the KJ?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    caliking said:
    I’m all sorts of confused. Does it make that much of a difference vs. whatever came with the KJ?
    I can understand your confusion @caliking. The KJ came with a daisy wheel, no rain cap. After I jettisoned the smokeware from my large, I used it on the jr. I didn’t like it on the jr either. I liked the reggulator so much on my other eggs that $50 was a small price to pay to upgrade this here. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Makes sense, I guess. I thought the KJ came with a different type of vent cap. 

Does this one stay where it’s set after opening/closing the lid?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I can understand your confusion @caliking. The KJ came with a daisy wheel, no rain cap. After I jettisoned the smokeware from my large, I used it on the jr. I didn’t like it on the jr either. I liked the reggulator so much on my other eggs that $50 was a small price to pay to upgrade this here. 
    you just made my day.  that was my biggest skreed with the joe jr the crappy daisy wheel.  i already broke the tab off mine.  i had a smokeware for my lg bge and my joe jr in my shopping cart but had not pulled the trigger yet.  were any modification needed for the mini max to fit on the joe jr?

thanks again!
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Looks like you're also using a BGE nest, correct?
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    caliking said:
    Makes sense, I guess. I thought the KJ came with a different type of vent cap. 

Does this one stay where it’s set after opening/closing the lid?
    Yes, it doesn’t move. It’s awesome. 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    tonyled said:
    you just made my day.  that was my biggest skreed with the joe jr the crappy daisy wheel.  i already broke the tab off mine.  i had a smokeware for my lg bge and my joe jr in my shopping cart but had not pulled the trigger yet.  were any modification needed for the mini max to fit on the joe jr?

thanks again!
    No modification. The dome for the small, mini max, and KJ jr are identical. 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    1voyager said:
    Looks like you're also using a BGE nest, correct?
    Yes, the bases are the same so the nest fits perfect. The KJ jr has a bigger lower vent, otherwise it’s just a small egg. 
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options

thanks!  gonna swing by the dealer and order it today
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    tonyled said:

thanks!  gonna swing by the dealer and order it today
    Called my dealer today and ordered one for the mini max.  Glad this helped you out too.  I never liked the KJ daisy wheel only setup, and the smokeware cap with the donut on the KJ wasn't spectacular either.  This is much better than them both.