Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping... Wardster, Pastrami is done oohlala

Options
Steeler Fan
Steeler Fan Posts: 395
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As promised reporting back with an update. First of all a recap. The recipe tha I used was basically from a link provided on this website (Playing with Fire and Smoke). I added one tablespoon of Turbinado sugar (Wardster mentioned his was too salty) to help offset the saltiness. I replaced the Montreal Steak Seasoning with Dizzy Pig's Raising the Steak ( reason - did not have any Montreal at home). I used a store-bought flat corned beef brisket( 3.1 lbs). Rinsed it and soaked in water (60 hours) with cubed potatoes to soak up additional salt. Someone else mentioned this on the forum. I then reseasoned and refigerated overnite. I had used up all of the seasoning so I made another batch to put on whe I was to smoke it the next day. As recommended I cooked it indirect for about 5 hours at 250 until the internal meat temperature was 160. The next time I may take it to 170. I waited the obligatory 15 minutes and sliced 2 small pieces to taste. The taste was a little too spicy for my taste ( I should not have doubled the recipe !!!). I then wrapped in foil placed it in a plastic bag overnight. I got the slicer out and sliced it paper thin and oh man oh man is it ever goooood (Not too salty). I did scrape some of the seasoning off anf that did the trick for my taste buds. Guess Reubens are on the agenda for tonite. I did weigh the pastrami after I sliced it and got 2 pounds out of that 3.1 lbs.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Steeler Fan,[p]Glad that worked out for you. That is one of the longer soaking times I have heard of, but I am now going 48 hours myself....After reading that the seasoning was too spicy it dawned on me that I usually get corned flats 4# or larger AND I actually don't follow my own instructions to the "T" as to the amount of rub I use. I put it on until it looks right, then follow with a coating the next day. I just changed the wording in the recipe on my site. It now reads closer to Bobberqer's recipe (the one below mine that uses the potatoes during the soak)[p]Just a note, for having this pastrami as a main dish I slow smoke it until it is about 140 then braise it in a covered roaster to finish, then serve with potatoes, cabbage etc.[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Steeler Fan
    Options
    thirdeye, Sorry did not realize that was your recipe. On the seasonings, I screwed and doubled it, that's why it was so spicy, by scraping some of it off, probably came close to yours. Thanks great recipe.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Steeler Fan,[p]Actually, a lot of folks here on the forum critiqued my original version and I changed it accordingly over about a year. Bob was the one who talked me into the longer soak times. It is so nice to be able to get good advice from so many knowledgeable and sincere people. It can turn something average into something really good.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Steeler Fan,
    Glad it worked out for you! It's a fun, tasty and easy cook. Enjoy.

Apollo Beach, FL