Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I love lighting my Egg with my new flamethrower!!!

Eggtuary
Eggtuary Posts: 400
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, it's actually called a "Propane Torch." (see link below) [p]But, man, is this thing fun to use to start up my Egg! I've been using the Weber lighter cubes for a long time. With the new Royal Oak being so slow to light, I'd been getting more and more frustrated with how long I had to wait before I could start cooking. My friend with the gas grill was also getting on my nerves...[p]But no more! I remembered the suggestion of somebody here (fishlessman, maybe?) to try this tool from Harbor Freight. I bought it a few months ago on sale, but I didn't own a propane tank. I finally got around to picking one up a week ago, and I've been using it ever since. I had used a gas torch to light lump before, but it was small, so my hand was closer to all those sparks than I really cared for. But with this big torch with its nice long reach, I get a fast start, and I feel a lot safer (than with the small torch.)[p]Anyway, I just had to post my experience here, partly so that I could tell others about it who may be wanting a faster start-up method, and partly to say "thank you" once again to the great people on this forum! I really appreciate all you guys do to help your fellow Eggers ... and what a great group you all are to party with at Eggfests![p]Take care,
Mike

[ul][li]Harbor Freight propane torch[/ul]

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Eggtuary,[p]Yes! I bought a propane or MAPP using torch 6 month ago, and have used a MAPP cylinder for every light-up since then. Its really nice if your Egg has no shelter, like mine. While in a strong rain, only 30 seconds is enough to get the lump going.[p]gdenby
  • Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Eggtuary,[p]Ohhh Yeaaahhhh. The torch adds another cool dimension to egging. Sometimes I even use it on weeds.[p]Woody
  • I love my propane weed burner hooked on a 5 gallon propane tank. One problem with it however is the neighbors can tell when I am starting a cook. They figure it is me firing up some lump or a hot air balloon going overhead. Sound kind of like a jet!!!!
  • Eggtuary,
    Have had my torch about a year and a half. Still on first tank of propane. My neighbors think i am nuts and keep all animals and children away when I am cooking. Only way to fly

• Gene
    Gene Posts: 99
    Eggtuary,
    My Propane Gas is Out. Have just poured a little Cooking oil on the lump lately. It light's Fast and no Sparks.

• Eggtuary,[p]With the torch - how long does it take to reach temp? I use firelight sticks, and I find it takes around 25 min.[p]Thanks
  • I use a portable propane welders torch from Home Depot and it does about the same as the flame thrower but it is alot smaller (about $35.00).

To answer the question it takes me about 5 minutes to be ready to cook. I usually light the egg then go in to get the food ready, when I come back it's no problem.
    Fireside Outdoor Kitchens
    www.firesideoutdoorkitchens.com
    Big Green Egg dealer extraordinaire
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    yep, thats the one i use, mines many many years old now sitting outside year round thru the rain, snow, sun. doesnt look as nice as it did when new, but still keeps on lighting, best 20 bucks ive spent on the egg. now that you have a tank, those big burners that they use on seafood boils is a nice accessory to have, mines from an old water smoker,i use it often for steaming lobsters and clams
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    dude. his flamethrower is now two years old, too. look at the date on his post.
    hahaha

what are you, digging deep in the forum vault?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    thats the problem with last 25 and the reason i hope the regular page never brings new posts to the top. theeggtableman dug that one up to the top. guess i gotta screen the threads better :whistle:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    well. i have my regular forum list set to show the "active thread first". any reply here (under last 25) should bring this to the top (a 'bump'). wonder how old it needs to be before it falls off the radar screen forever?

maybe this is archived?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante