Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Ribs for the In Laws

Options
Hoagie
Hoagie Posts: 5
So I am doing ribs for lunch for the in laws this Saturday.  The only real “BBQ” they like are ribs.  I have cooked them many times and have the times and technique down.  I’ll probably just kiss them with smoke in the beginning.  I want to dial it in to where to buy the ribs.  I have always purchased at Costco. Was curious if New York Butcher Shoppe was worth giving a try.  I live in Upstate, SC and have Costco, Publix, New York Butcher, Fresh Market, Whole Foods. Etc.  All comments are welcome.   

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    edited June 2018
    Options
    You do know if you feed them they will keep coming back......Just kidding
    I always use the Costco St Louis cut and have always been pleased.

And welcome to the forum.

• Steve76
    Steve76 Posts: 60
    Options
    Might want to try Sam's Club... I've used them for years and been pleased.
    Lutz, FL (next to the swamp), LBGE, Pizza stone, Egg Handler, Flame boss 300, Thermapen, Kick Ash basket &  Webber Summit for odds and ends and short, or "honey do", cooks!  
  • lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416
    Options

So what is your time and technique for a rack of baby backs? I still have not gotten ribs down pat

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options

Fresh Market near me closed a while back, but they had some of the best ribs I've ever seen. I was on their mailing list and would go load up when they had buy one get one free.

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,429
    Options

If this buy hasn't been sorted out in the past 11 months it is too late. 😎

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options

Did ribs yesterday, two racks of baby backs. We split one rack for dinner, and then make three lunches out of the other.

Pretty simple - set up for indirect cook. I use cast iron grill. Remove the membrane from the bone side - important, just do it.

Here's my rub: Mustard first. I use home made mustard for extra flavor, but any mustard pairs well with pork.

The forum (Vanilla) likes to offset pictures 90º. Equal amounts of the spices you see here, if you don't have a Penzey's you can use about anything with cayenne pepper and paprika.

I get this mixture rubbed on the ribs in the morning, and aim to put them on the Egg at 225º allowing for a 6 hour cook. The longer they sit in the fridge, the happier they get.

My plate setter is a black mess, so I don't care about pork fat hitting it. I put two nice chunks of Pecan wood on top of the lump, plate setter, iron grill and let it all come back to 225º Feel free to use whatever wood flavor you like - place the ribs on the grill bone side down.

Remember 3 2 1

Three hours after you start, bring two large sheets of foil out, and a cup of apple cider vinegar. That's the three in 3 2 1

Wrap the ribs individually in foil, and pour half the vinegar into each. Close it up tight, the point is to "steam" the ribs. This is the secret to "fall off the bone". This is the two in 3 2 1 - let them steam for two hours.

Two hours later, open up the foil. I leave the foil under the ribs, now you want to mop on some sauce. Every 15 minutes for an hour. If you want them dry, every 15 minutes for 45 minutes, this is your "one" step in 3 2 1 . The last hour is for the bbq sauce. Sweet sauce will make them a bit sticky - vinegar sauce will make them more tender.

Foolproof. Three hours at 225º, then two hours wrapped in foil to steam, then one hour for sauce. Works every time.

For ribs you have to "chew" off the bone, skip the foil step and 4 hours after placing them on the grill start saucing for an hour. That's a 5 hour cook.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically.