Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kick Ash Capacity

Options

I have a kick ash basket in the shopping cart of another open web page. I was a click away from ordering when I decided to read more of the very few negative reviews. One reviewer stated that they lost charcoal capacity, and if that's the case, it seems that also lost could be the ability to do long low and slow cooks like a large brisket. Is that true?????? I think I should just order it based on all the positive reviews, but thought I would post this question and hope for some quick replies to help me make that last ordering click....thank you Cheers!!

Franklinville, Western NY

Comments

• Duuane
    Duuane Posts: 65
    Options

Thanks NPHuskerFL that's good enough for me. I will finalize my order in the next minute.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options

There is a volume loss. The basket is maybe a quarter inch thick so you some volume - the small air gap gained is what makes the basket work so well. you could make up for it by adding a couple of extra pieces of lump on the top. 😀 Total burn time difference is not worth worrying about (if you could actually come up with an accurate difference).

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options

I won't say there isn't any lost capacity, but will say it's too minimal to make a difference. It's not enough that I would worry about running out of charcoal. Just fill up to the bottom of the platesetter and you're not going to run out.

Stillwater, MN
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Options

Haven’t noticed a discernible difference. Love mine

BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• Duuane
    Duuane Posts: 65
    Options

Thanks all.....it's on the way to my house

• StillH2OEgger
    Options

You'll like it. I would buy it again.

Stillwater, MN
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

There is no measurable capacity lost, nor does it change the burn time / usage.

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options

since the question has been answered... do you set the basket on the cast iron fire grate, or do you remove that altogether when using a KickAsh basket?

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options

I sit my KAB on top of fire grate. I have an XL though.

• builderdawg
    builderdawg Posts: 105
    Options

I like my KAB, but I have to disagree with those who say there isn’t any lost capacity.

• bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    Options

Splitting hairs here...KAB improves airflow I set it right on fire grate in my LBGE. I did a 23 hour low and slow a couple weeks ago and never ran out of lump!

Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• GeezerSteve
    Options

I’ve had a KAB for my large for three cooks now (late bloomer on eggs). I’ve not noticed any problem with capacity/cook time. My last brisket was 15 hours at 275 for a 9 lb trimmed one. The one prior was longer.

What I like is that I can put a lot of charcoal - they say to fill to the top of the handles, and then I save what’s not burned up for the next cook. I just pick up the basket and shake, like it says.

I don’t use the ash grate. It made sense to remove it to me since the basket serves the purpose and removing it opened the air flow.

I’ve only owned my egg for about 9 months (son moved out of state and gave me his). I haven’t used it much yet, but in the last 5 months I’ve smoked two large briskets, two spiral sliced hams, and pork belly cubes. It is one sweet system for low and slow smoking. I had side-box charcoal burners before and was not happy about heat distribution in the smoke box. Too hot near the inlet and much cooler at the outlet. They were very hard to keep going all night as well. The egg takes care of all those problems.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

Do you lose capacity inside of your trash can when you put a trash bag in it?

It sits maybe 1/2" inside the firebox walls and maybe 1/2" above where the grate sits. We're just talking about the width of the metal rod.....and lump sticks through those holes. Unless you have the wrong sized basket for your egg, the "lost capacity" is negligible to non-existent.

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options

There is a tiny loss to capacity, but there is no loss to function, or cook time due to this capacity loss. There are however, improvements to cook function and cleanup in exchange for this minor capacity alteration.

I use them in all of my eggs. I just wish there was one for the mini. :)

• StillH2OEgger
    Options

I don't think it matters either way (I have a large BGE), but I keep the charcoal grate in while using the KAB.

Stillwater, MN