Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MINIMAX stand w/ shelf & casters [Stainless Steel]

Options
acolle
acolle Posts: 133
edited April 2019 in EggHead Forum

After looking around for a rolling MiniMax stand, I was directed to a few options on Amazon. Many of these stainless steel “prep” tables (multiple brands) seemed to have the worst quality consistency. So I bailed on Amazon and started looking elsewhere. I ultimatly ended up something just as affordable as the Amazon options... But with what I feel was superior quality. Figured I might share what I found with you all.

My find:

Regency 18-Gauge 304 Stainless Steel Commercial Work Table with Galvanized Legs and Undershelf. I went with the 18" x 24” due to limited storage space + the 5" Swivel Stem Casters. They do offer other table sizes. Like 24” x 24” OR 36”. Anyhow. The quality out of the box was fantastic. And the shipping from webstaurantstore.com was fast AF.

Details: 

This is an authentic commercial work table. 18-gauge type 304 stainless steel top shelf that can support up to 600 lb. Also, 304 stainless steel offers greater corrosion resistance than type 430 stainless steel options.

The galvanized steel undershelf can hold up to 450 lb. w/ aluminum corner brackets (no rust).

Galvanized Steel Legs w/ great corrosion resistance.

Adjustable feet (if you don’t go with the casters like I did.)

The 5” swivel casters are serious business. Smooth and quiet, easy to install*, and the large diameter wheels handle irregular surfaces easily. Brakes lock ok. But they were wet when I tested them.

*I did not like the cooking surface being so high with the caters installed… So I got on Amazon and got a proper large pipe tube cutter for galvanized [$16.99]. Didn’t feel like dealing with the hacksaw and file on this one. 

This was possibly the most gratifying part of the entire build. loved playing with this tool: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001H1JOE4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Moved from upper left to Denver, CO | BGE LG & MMX + Kotaigrill [Hibachi]

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Very nice

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options

Nice!

I bought a few of the Seville Classics stainless tables via Amazon and the quality is fine (at least for my purposes). I bought one the same size as your table that I used to just use as a rolling prep table to move alongside whatever grill I was using. When I got my Blackstone 22 it fits the top perfectly so it has been there since.

I have one of the Seville four foot tables that I cut the legs down to lower the table height so I could mount my Karubecue to the top. I cut the legs with my sawzall which cut thru the legs like butter but it left the ends just a little out of square. I was able to dress the ends up with a few seconds on my bench grinder but if I had to do it again I think I'd go ahead and spend the money for the pipe cutter you used - didn't think about getting one for that cheap.

Both tables are out in the elements 24/7/365 and there is no rust after a few years.

I have one more of the Seville four foot tables that I have had in the garage still in the box for a few weeks that I am going to setup as a prep table and for use with a couple portable gas fired appliances. The casters that Seville sells for the four foot tables are only 4" but they roll just fine as neither table is really supporting more than 100-200 pounds. That said tho, my patio is exposed aggregate and the larger diameter the better. The legs on my tables use screw in post casters and I don't think I could find any 5 or 6 inch casters with that type of mount.

Did you happen to look at the new portable nest that BGE recently came out with for the MiniMax before deciding on your table?

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options

Very nice. I lucked into a little wooden table that I have used for mine for the past year and a half, but it is not designed for outdoors. The covered pouch somewhat protects it, but it will probably need to be replaced in a year or so. I like your choice:

Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options

Thanks for sharing. Was just thinking of modifying my MM setup, so your thread is timely.

• acolle
    Options

HeavyG, I did not look art the portable nest. I was mostly interested in something I could wheel the Mini in/out for storage with for quick set-up / clean-up.

• Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options

In the beginning stages of a bbq area and will keep this in mind. Don't have a MM but for the rolling prep table could come in handy.

XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • acolle
    Options

PS. I would HIGHLY recommend (if anybody is considering this set up) you go with nothing smaller than a 24" x 24". The 24" X 18" is not as stable as I figured going into this. Simply confirming it is less than ideal. I will most likely be "upgrading" to a 24" x 24" in the near future. This smaller one will be a perfect side table. 😎

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

Nice. I agree about the size/stability though. Especially if you have a dog. I would suggest you lock the brakes on the casters and put some heavy weight on the bottom shelf. Maybe even bolt the nest to the table. And/or buy a larger table.

I used to have a dog and a Mini. Now I just have the dog.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2019
    Options

Nice 👍

I went with the Regency also. But, I opted for 30" x 36" equipment stand with locking casters.

I see you decided to cut your legs down for your own comfort on egg height. Too bad you didn't take a measurement first because when you order it from Regency they give you the option of different leg Heights to compensate for the lift given off of the casters. I did not alter any of that because for me the height was perfect with the standard legs and casters plus my egg has lift from the modified legs I've added to the carrier.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GUNNERTOM25
    Options
    This would be PERFECT!
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    I had some problems with those aluminum shelf corners pulling apart or giving way. Had to stop using them. Just a word of caution