Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cover is pitting

Options

I've had my egg for years since 2009 and love cooking on it. It's my go to grill. I uncovered it about 2 weeks ago to find that it started pitting, not sure what is happening but it looks really nasty. I've been told that it's not covered under warranty. I would not recommend to my friends that where over for a cookout to buy one.

Comments

• bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options

If you are the original owner, I think it is covered under warranty

Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • Buffalowaters
    Options

I am the original owner and I bought in 2009

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options

Anything on the ceramic is lifetime warranty. I am 99% sure that includes the glaze.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options

"I've been told that it's not covered under warranty."

Who told you this?

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

That's under warranty. When I was a dealer we replaced several because of that (including my own.)

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

I found the warranty here:

7. WHAT IS NOT COVERED: Warranty does not apply to any incidental losses or accidental damage or breakage, or for any damage caused by: transporting; dropping; misassembly; improperly supporting; attempting to suspend the EGG by any means other than an approved BGE Nest or solid, non-combustible surface under the base; commercial use (other than as provided for within this BGE Warranty); modifications; alterations; negligence; abuse; improper care; road hazards; normal and reasonable wear and tear; floods, storms or natural disasters. Warranty coverage does not extend to scratches, dents, chips, crazing, fading, appearances or minor cosmetic cracks of the exterior glaze that does not affect the performance or structural integrity of the EGG.

I guess that could be open to interpretation, but I would say what you have there is more than a "chip" or "minor cosmetic defect".

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

Yep, covered. If your dealer refuses, contact BGE (or another dealer). @fishlessman's was covered...

Crazing is not covered, but this is.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options

thats covered, contact bge, they will send a letter to you to show your dealer telling them its covered. mine was more severe, but theres no reason for that, you can plainly see it was not abused

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options

Devastating.

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options

Yup. Warranty claim.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Buffalowaters
    Options

Well I talked to a dealer and he made a call and sent the pictures to them. I now have a new cover. I can't thank the dealer Dan enough for his efforts.

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited April 2019
    Options

They probably called Bruce. 😎

• Alsgrillmate
    Options

I had the exact same thing happen to me just the other day. I went to the dealer where i bought the egg 3 years ago. He made a phone call and was told it was a manufacturing fault. They asked for a picture and the number stamped inside the dome. They are replacing it with a brand. New dome.

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    edited April 2019
    Options

I just came home from vacation and mine is doing the same. Had it 8 years. Dealer says no problem !

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    Options

Wow this post seems to be right on time. I just discovered one area on my dome that has the same problem. I was wondering if it will get worst but for now its just one spot. Its good to know that the problem will be covered under warranty. Now if I can only find the proof of purchase.

Thanks for sharing.

XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options

That’s why these $200 pieces of tile they sell for $1000 have a lifetime warranty. Its going to happen from time to time, and it happens with all the manufacturers. I have several eggs and this happened to my small egg once. Mine was under the band in the dome. Quick warranty claim and done.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac
    These were covered with NO nest pad contact.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac
    Maybe if you tell the dealer that it was NOT in the BGE nest with BGE nest pads contacting the glaze . . . it was just touching beautiful AZ air!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    Yikes ....
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Seems like BGE has taken a page out of our health insurance industry.  Deny all initial claims.

Dealer denied and then BGE headquarters also denied.  Bruce did say if the touch-up paint didn't work he would warranty the part.  Touch up paint did what touch-up paint does.  It looks terrible within a few feet, but from 10 feet it looks fine.

4 eggs and 12 years, and this is my second claim.  Batting 0.500 right now is hall of famer in baseball.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Seems like BGE has taken a page out of our health insurance industry.  Deny all initial claims.

Dealer denied and then BGE headquarters also denied.  Bruce did say if the touch-up paint didn't work he would warranty the part.  Touch up paint did what touch-up paint does.  It looks terrible within a few feet, but from 10 feet it looks fine.

4 eggs and 12 years, and this is my second claim.  Batting 0.500 right now is hall of famer in baseball.

just added up my health care costs for 2021 for tax purposes, page after page denied, denied, denied......my brother has over 200k in the deny process, my cousin on obamacare is looking at 65k denied. bge warranty is looking pretty good
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it