Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Teams needed for 2nd Annual Williamsburg PRO AM BBQ Cook Off

Options

'sup Eggheads!

I'm giving you more notice this year about the Williamsburg PRO AM BBQ Cook Off to be held Sunday June 30th at Jamestown Beach Event Park in Williamsburg, Virginia. I'm looking for teams to compete in the Amateur side of the competition where you will compete in three categories, chicken, pork ribs, and pulled pork. There is a $250 cash prize for 1st place in each category and a $100 2nd place prize in each category as well as trophies. This year we are adding a Grand Champion Trophy Cup to be awarded to the top amateur team (serious bragging rights!)

Entry fee for teams of two are $100 and include two General Admission tickets to the event. Amateur teams are encouraged to set up onsite a day early (Saturday June 29th) and may camp out and cook overnight.

I am also looking for a few amateur team judges as well as anyone else who just wants to enjoy a great day of BBQ. Regular ticketed attendees will get to try unlimited samples from 8 of the regions best BBQ restaurants and food trucks and vote people's choice style for best beef brisket, pulled pork and best side. $40 GA tickets include 2 beer tickets. A limited number of VIP tickets are available which include hour early entry to the event, reserved seating under the tent and a "Bottomless" souvenir glass mug which entitles the owner to unlined beer refills (knew you'd like that!). Kids 12 and under are just $5.

you can get more information at www.WilliamsburgPROAMBBQ.com. Tickets and Amateur Team Registration are currently available only through facebook and our Eventbrite page (but will be available through the website soon).

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2nd-annual-williamsburg-pro-am-bbq-cookoff-tickets-54732550532

When do y'all teach me the secret handshake?
XL BGE, 36" Blackstone, and a Wah Wah pedal
Williamsburg, VA

Comments

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options

Unlimited beer? Challenge accepted!

Wish I could make it

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    edited April 2019
    Options

What is the team size and are there cooking vessel requirements? @Smartypants

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

That's my neck of the woods. You thinking about coming up?

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options

I will be in Charlotte on Friday for a concert. Was really just thinking out loud......that maybe (just maybe) I might see if @piney might be interested in making the trip up on Saturday with his smoker. That said, it is just concept stage at the moment....and have not had any discussion with Gary. My questions remain, what is required to cook on and are there team size requirements. I didn't see that in the link.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SmartyPantz
    SmartyPantz Posts: 145
    Options

$100 amateur team entry fee is for a two person team. You can have as many people on the team as you want, but each team member after the second one needs to buy a general admission ticket.

You can cook on whatever you want to cook on. No requirement.

Chicken entry can be anything, thigh, wing, pulled chicken, etc. Ribs are pork ribs. Pulled pork, self explanatory.

It is a super fun event for the amateur teams. You are welcome to BYOB, as long as it is kept within the confines of our site. Teams usually cook dinner and breakfast for themselves. And, our beer sponsor, Billsburg Brewery is right across the street from the event site. Walking distance.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Williamsburg, VA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options

Peach butt tacos and sriracha bleu cheese spread anyone?

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SmartyPantz
    SmartyPantz Posts: 145
    Options

www.WilliamsburgPROAMBBQ.com

Amateur Team Rules

We are glad to have you here! It is our belief that the Amateur BBQ Teams have the MOST FUN of anyone at our annual event. Not only are you helping to raise money for a great cause ( www.3eRestoration.org ), but you will make friends and memories that will last. We look forward to your participation this year and in the years to come. THANK YOU!

Entry Fee - Entry fee for Amateur teams is $100 and includes entry tickets to the event for the team captain and one assistant. You are welcome to bring more team members but additional team members must purchase their own tickets.

Contest Categories and Cooking - This year’s categories are: Chicken, Pork Ribs, and Pulled Pork. You may prepare any cut of chicken you wish (eg thighs, wings, breast, or pulled chicken).  Beyond these categories, there are no rules for cooking. Use whatever rubs or injections or marinades you wish. You do not have to compete in all three categories, but only teams competing in all three will be eligible for the Grand Champion Trophy. Teams are responsible for supplying their own food.

Setup - Amateur team may set up their cook site as early as 1:00 PM on Saturday June 29, 2019 but no later than 8:00 PM.  Teams are encouraged to “camp out” on site and cook overnight. Teams do not have to camp out, but access to the site is limited between 10:00 PM Saturday and 7:00 AM Sunday (no cars). Amateur teams may bring the following:

• Your cooker or cookers (no open fires)
    • Tents, chairs, hammocks, etc.
    • Generators, there is no power on-site
    • Water, you are encouraged to bring your own water supply for cleaning purposes as water will be limited on site.
    • Prep tables, coolers, utensils, soap and lots of paper towels.
    • Adult beverages are allowed, but must remain within the boundaries of the event site.

Contest Judging and Prizes - You are an amateur team and we have amateur judges! For each category you enter, you must prepare enough food for 8 judged servings.  Food will be judged on taste, tenderness and appearance, with double points awarded to taste. We will award a 1st and 2nd place prize and trophy for each category.  The 1st place prize is $250 and the 2nd place prize is $100. We will also be awarding a Grand Champion Trophy to the top amateur team who competes in all three categories based on top cumulative score.  There is no cash prize for the Grand Championship, just bragging rights!

Health Code Requirements - Amateur teams are not required to be health department compliant and therefore, serving samples to regular attendees is prohibited.  You must, however, make every attempt to keep raw items cold and hot items hot prior to service. Also, please test the temperature of your meat for doneness prior to serving to the judges. (This is particularly important for chicken). Again, please bring your own water for hand and utensil washing, soap and plenty of paper towels, and keep a clean cook site.  

Team meeting and service schedule - All amateur team captains must attend the brief Amateur Team Meeting at 5:30 PM on Saturday June 29, 2019 under the big tent at the site.  It is at this time that we will determine the serving schedule. The serving schedule will roughly be: Chicken 12:30 PM, Ribs 1:15 PM, Pulled Pork 2:00 PM.  

Rules and Cancelation Policy - This is a rain or shine event. Plan accordingly.  In the event of severe weather, the Rotary Club of the Historic Triangle reserves the right to cancel the event up until 11:00 AM on Saturday June 29th.  Rules subject to change at the sole discretion of the Rotary Club of the Historic Triangle.

Williamsburg, VA