Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami - Conflicting temperature

Steeler Fan
Steeler Fan Posts: 395
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well just like a guy, I read the directions when it is too late. Anyway, I've looked at 3 different recipes concerning the doneness of the pastrami. All agree cook it at 250 from anywhere from 2 to 4 hours. Ok, I can handle the disparity in times. I'll use my trusty meat therm to check the internal meat temp. Well I have 3 different temps also 145, 170 and 190. Will admit all 3 recipes go back a few years. What is the consensus. Any help is appreciated.[p]Joe

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Steeler Fan,[p]What kind of meat and what cut did you pastrami? this will make a difference in the answer.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye, Store bought Corned Beef, the flat cut about 3.1#.I'm currently doing the 3rd day soaking in the water and potatoes. Joe

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Steeler Fan,
    I use the pre-packaged cornbeef cut. I cook at 250* for about 5-6 hours and pull it anywhere from 165-180. It's pretty forgiving.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Steeler Fan,[p]That is a good method. I like cooking pastrami using corned briskets until it is in the 170° range. My logic is that the corning process has changed the muscle fibers somewhat before you even start to cook.[p]I use 150° for pastrami made with eye of round or loin and 165° for trukey breast pastrami.[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Steeler Fan,
    3 days soaking? I soaked one for about 2-3 hours once. Let me know if it turns out less salty. In a sandwich it's fine, but alone is quite salty.
    Thanks

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Wardster, thanks, I wasn't sure if I needed to have the 180-190 like a pulled brisket or more to the rare side like an Eye of Round

• thirdeye, Thanks, now I understand why there was such a divergence ( not bad for a Picksburgher) in temperatures due to the type of meat everyone may have been using in their recipes.

• Steeler Fan,
    I go 225 with light smoke for 4-6 hours til I hit 160 internal. You want it to hold together for paper thin slices so don't go too high or it will fall apart.
    I prefer to use the point for pastrami, although I've been getting lazy since BJ's started carrying bulk packages of the deli brand that I've spent so much time trying to emulate. Think it's time for a Reuben.[p]Cheers,
    C~Q

• Wardster, I forgot to get the amounts for the spices for the pastrami. Will you share?
    Thanks,
    Charlie [as you would pronounce it]

• ccrider, look for a possible change in the ingredients. Wardster mentioned to me that his was way too salty. I'm using the 48 hour water soak w/ chunks of potatoes and added a TBSP of turinado sugar. I'm wating for my egg to stabilize at 250. Hope to smoke for 4 hours (like it was recommended). Will slice it on Friday and report back on how it went. Wish me luck