Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Free book: Heat by Bill Buford......edit: No longer free

Options
nolaegghead
nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
edited April 2019 in Off Topic

Sounds interesting. The Kindle version is free. Not sure if that's for prime users only or not.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GCFVUQ/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options

I've read this book twice... once years ago when it was first published, second after the Mario scandal went down. It's a damn good book by a fine author.

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options

Amazon tells me I bought a copy of that book in 07 but I always likes to grab a free Kindle version when I can. However, Amazon is telling me the Kindle version is $4.99 and I'm a Prime member.

Might have just been a limited window for free - they do that quite often. Sorry I missed out this time.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SonVolt
    Options

Yep, not showing "free" for me either except for the Audible trial.

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

I just got the Audible version fo free (with credit). Thanks for the heads-up.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options

I've read my hardcopy at least twice; it's at least as good as Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential. ⤴️

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• SonVolt
    Options

I think Burford is supposed to be releasing a new book soon about his stint living in France. Should be a good contrast to his time living in Italy while writing Heat.

• SmokeyLopey
    SmokeyLopey Posts: 435
    Options

Thanks for the info. I bought the book and am enjoying it.

• SonVolt
    Options

The fun part will be googling all the names from the Babbo kitchen and finding out where they are today and which ones got taken down in the #MeToo movement, and not just Mario.

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options

Got the book yesterday. Interesting reading

I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston