Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Colorado springs help?

Options
Hey all, I've been tasked with cooking for my wifes business event (100 people). I was thinking about 90lb of pork butts and only have an XL. Any suggestions on cook or should I just do the 4 I can fit turbo and another 4 after? Was hoping someone in springs could do half for some cash perhaps🤷😉. 
Beaufort, SC

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Tell the wife you need another XL. Problem solved. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Put half on the Egg vet a few hours smoke, no e to the oven, put second half on the Egg bump the temp, you'll never be able to,know when it's all pulled ....othe option is to cook half ahead and reheat 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Cook ahead of time, let cool, pull, vac seal, and freeze. On the day of the event drop vac seal bags in boiling water to reheat. It will be as good as the day it was smoked.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• jp217p
    jp217p Posts: 11
    Options
    If you have a cooler you can always hold a few in the cooler while the others cook.
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    So if I cook ahead of time the question is.....  Turbo or low slow
    Beaufort, SC
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    If you still need outside help, try reaching out to Molly, co-owner at Carbonella Creations in you neck of the woods. She's a big time egghead!
    canuckland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    90 pounds sounds high for 100 people, especially if theres sides
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    So if I cook ahead of time the question is.....  Turbo or low slow
    Your personal preference. No right or wrong way. Ford vs Chevy debate 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Agree - you should be fine with like 40 pounds of pork depending on the make up. I did 6 butts for our Cub Scout Pack event of about 100 people. Lots of kids and didn't even eat half of it.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If you still need outside help, try reaching out to Molly, co-owner at Carbonella Creations in you neck of the woods. She's a big time egghead!
    @Canugghead, are you still in touch with Molly? I haven't heard from or about her since she dropped off here. Keeping a restaurant going must be a huge undertaking, especially for 2 people! I read some of the Yelp reviews for Carbonella and they are overwhelmingly positive. Good for them!

And Enrico's scratch lasagna recipe is on here! Somewhere. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Agree - you should be fine with like 40 pounds of pork depending on the make up. I did 6 butts for our Cub Scout Pack event of about 100 people. Lots of kids and didn't even eat half of it.
    Maybe that's because the were holding out for brisket from the Brisket fanatic.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Need to get an adjustable rig from ceramic grill store, then you can fit many more butts on there at once. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    They're putting in 12+ hour days/6x a week. I don't know how they do it. Super, super busy. I highly recommend their restaurant. Top notch food and people 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    my math was for all adults that generally eat well. Its for a safety party and my wifes Lowes and they generally do something terrible like Walmart deli food or cheap tacos so no matter where I land on this..... i'll be above what the norm is. 

My math was 100-110ppl, 

80lb pork butts in fridge currently, yield about 60lb cooked give or take
    baked beans smoked with bacon and jalapeños on egg in le creuset 13qt in a couple batches and drop off during day. 

also bought about 40lb burger meat and 40 mid Italian sausages ill smoke and put on a tray of sautéed peppers and onions for buns as desired. I know we are over prepared for meat no doubt but I'm still $200 under budget even where I stand. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I've done many cooks for large crowds, and I purposefully cook too much because, since I do it for free, I can stay way under budget.

My advice is, cooking excessively is fine, better than running out of food.  Most importantly, make sure the food is unbelievably good.  Finally, buy "to-go" Styrofoam containers and a few Sharpies to send leftovers home with people.  People love to take stuff home if it was good. 
    Options
    I've done many cooks for large crowds, and I purposefully cook too much because, since I do it for free, I can stay way under budget.

My advice is, cooking excessively is fine, better than running out of food.  Most importantly, make sure the food is unbelievably good.  Finally, buy "to-go" Styrofoam containers and a few Sharpies to send leftovers home with people.  People love to take stuff home if it was good. 
    takeout coolers are good. with this much food an open invite to the bge community might be in order as well =)  thats alot of food
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    my math was for all adults that generally eat well. Its for a safety party and my wifes Lowes and they generally do something terrible like Walmart deli food or cheap tacos so no matter where I land on this..... i'll be above what the norm is. 

My math was 100-110ppl, 

80lb pork butts in fridge currently, yield about 60lb cooked give or take
    baked beans smoked with bacon and jalapeños on egg in le creuset 13qt in a couple batches and drop off during day. 

also bought about 40lb burger meat and 40 mid Italian sausages ill smoke and put on a tray of sautéed peppers and onions for buns as desired. I know we are over prepared for meat no doubt but I'm still $200 under budget even where I stand. 
    $200 - that should get you the AR
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet