Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Make Ahead on BGE

dmourati
dmourati Posts: 1,265
edited March 2019 in EggHead Forum
My wife and I both work and have a 3yo to raise. During the week, she does most of the cooking and we only order take out food on occasion. I'm looking to help by making some food on the Egg over the weekend that we can freeze and prepare quickly on a weeknight. The idea is to layer the weekend prep so that we can have some variety. Like Monday we eat something from 3 weekends ago, Tuesday: two weekends ago and so on. This is for variety.

This weekend I roasted two spatchcock chickens and am making Chili later this afternoon. My wife is turning the chicken into a few dishes like enchiladas and something called a white lasagna (jury's out) so we're off to a good start.

So, my question to you fine folks is what Egged food have you found works well to prepare ahead to heat and eat with limited time during the week? Best options for us would require less than 1 hour out of the freezer/fridge and limited supervision or attending to.

Thanks in advance.
Mountain View, CA

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I typically egg on the weekend for weekday lunches. Chicken breast freezes and reheats well. Meatloaf, pulled pork, pepper stout beef also does well. Vac-pac and stash. We reheat via sous vide. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    As @ColtsFan said, if I an making something to use for future meals, I will make big proteins. For example, as you ate already doing, I will make a couple of chickens and use the meat in other recipes. Enchiladas, soups, etc. Same thing for pulled pork and roasts. Making casserole type meals with the leftovers freeze and reheat well. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited March 2019
    Lots of chicken. I'll smoke chicken thighs in bulk, shred, then freeze in baggies. Once the protein is done it can be heat and serve or like said above I do a lot of soup, enchiladas, etc.  

Edit: As I typed this my wife informed me we had two families coming over for dinner tonight. Guess who's getting smoked chicken nachos?

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• This fish dish was under 15min on the egg. Brussels were about 45

• derka123
    derka123 Posts: 102
    Pretty much only use my egg for large cuts (pork shoulder, brisket, etc) for this exact purpose. Shred or cut it up on Sunday and keep it in the fridge for the week to use as leftovers.
  • This fish dish was under 15min on the egg. Brussels were about 45

That Wicked Awesome IPA is good stuff. Love how fruity it is. 

Food looks good too.