Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: the world still had some good: people

ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532
 Yesterday, was not one of my better days. My wife was at work for 12 hours and my daughter was late home from school because of play practice. I didn’t feel like making anything for dinner so I simply ordered Papa John’s Pizza a favorite of theirs. I have to use a walker to get around, and recently had a fall and ended up with a concussion. No one was home yet when the pizza delivery kid arrived, and I was wondering how I was going to manage my walker and the pizzas.  I’m not sure, but he must have noticed that I was wondering how I was going to manage. Without asking this young man said can I take these into your kitchen for you. It was a simple act of kindness that took him all of 30 seconds but it made a difference in my day.  When he was leaving, he noticed that there was an Amazon package and he brought that in. Thursday is trash day, and I am unable to manage the cans down and back he went down brought them up set them on the pad where they belong and hoped in his car to be on his way. It’s amazing  to me that the 16-year-old or maybe 17-year-old kid would do those things. I had pre-tipped when I placed my order online, but when he brought the trash cans back I ask him to please wait while I retrieve my wallet all I had was a $10 bill to give him, and many thanks. Sometimes small random acts of kindness make huge impact on people, and you don’t realize it. I called in last night to talk to the manager, but she was unavailable, because they were shortstaffed and she was on the road. I called back this morning and talk to the general manager who looked up the young man’s name, and said he would make sure that everyone knew what a wonderful job he did. I told her that did not feel like enough and that my wife had stopped at the bank and got me out some money yesterday evening on our way home from work. I asked for his name so that I could address the thank you card and send it to the store inside the card I placed $100 to thank him. My note to him stated that if he were a little older and I were back at work, I would hire him in a heartbeat. I thanked him for his kindness  and explain why it made such a difference for me. 

I know people often joke about  millennials, their lack of work ethic and inability to do things.  This young man restored my faith in the next generation.  

Many of the egg heads on here have been so kind to me during my recovery from my back surgeries, some of you have sent me gifts, some of you have reached out and had conversations with me, or messaged me to let me know you were thinking about me in my recovery. I truly appreciate each and everyone of you on this forum, sure we have high drinks and shenanig many of the egg heads on here have been so kind to me during my recovery from my back surgeries, some of you have sent me gifts, some of you have reached out and had conversations with me, or messaged me to let me know you were thinking about me and my recovery. I truly appreciate each and everyone of you on this forum, sure we have Some fun and some shenanigans on here, but this place is truly filled with wonderful people.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I was truly touched by this young man as well as many of you on here.  

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    This makes me smile.  Thank you, Ryan.   :)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    That it awesome, read it again
    O-Town, FL

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Nice Story! and Wishing a speedy recovery

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Technically, the kid is Generation Z...maybe they're less lazy and apathetic than the Millennials?   God, I hope so ;)

Seriously though, good kid.  Reminds me of me, except I will go out of my way because I feel good helping other people -- so for purely selfish reasons.  I generally hate all people so it's def not for them.
    Agreed,My techs know, when you go to the home and there is a paper in the driveway, take it to the front door and give it to them, trash cans, bring them back up,if you use there garden hose,put it back better than it was- Leave The House/Yard cleaner than when you got there.........My guys get it and I am proud of all of them for that 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited March 2019

I generally hate all people so it's def not for them.
    This. I’m not prejudiced, I hate everyone equally. 

@ryantt,

Awesome to go out of your way to recognize this young man, deservedly so. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Great story @ryantt good luck on your recovery.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Great story - and continued hope for your speedy recovery. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited March 2019
    Technically, the kid is Generation Z...maybe they're less lazy and apathetic than the Millennials?   God, I hope so 

Seriously though, good kid.  Reminds me of me, except I will go out of my way because I feel good helping other people -- so for purely selfish reasons.  I generally hate all people so it's def not for them.
    Attended a Benz seminar about marketing to millennial's. Research is pointing to this being the case with the Gen Z's
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I'm an old dude and learned a lesson one day while on business travel. Generally I try to help people when ever i can.....but on this particular day, my mind was somewhere else. I was boarding a plane and apparently the lady in front of me was struggling to put here bag in the overhead. Not sure how she got in in, but turned to me and gave me what for ......for not offering to help. I was dumbfounded because i was not aware of what was going on around me.  At any rate, let me say that i have gone out of my way to assist folks with luggage / overhead bins ever since. What does this have to do with you and your story? I am guessing he has a family member or has has experienced some sort of ah-ha moment in his life that makes him take special notice. It might have been training.....but somehow i doubt that Pappa Johns goes that far. They may....and i don't mean to dis them. Great story. thanks for putting up with mine. Glad you are progressing in your recovery. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Great job @ryantt !
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    That is wonderful all around! Thanks for the read. I'm going to go do something nice for someone. Have a great weekend, Ryan, and godspeed in your recovery.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,182
    edited March 2019
    Really great of you to have contacted management at his place of employ. Too often, people will call management in a heartbeat when things go wrong, but fail to give credit where it is due in situations when things go very right. 

You just taught that young man to keep giving it his all, even when he thinks that no one is watching. A lesson he will keep with him for his lifetime and one that may even make it through to his progeny.

As a (very early!) Millenial, it’s nice to hear that we’re not all bad.  :)
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Very nice story and great job making sure he understood and those he works with understood.  Regarding the overhead bins issue, @northGAcock I usually only help the really hot chicks with their luggage.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Humanity isn't completely lost. Great read. Get better man.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    My dad didn’t “invent” this but he sure said it s lot to me:

Character is how you act when you don’t think anyone is watching. 

Thats why why I always pick up my dogs 💩. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited March 2019
    What a great story.  Speaking as someone who for the past month or so has gotten around using a walker, I know exactly what you mean about needing others for help with the simplest tasks of everyday life.

edit:  I think when I get approval to drive again, I’ll throw a party!
    Flint, Michigan
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Glad you experienced that whole exchange and then took the effort to truly make an impression on him and his employer.  As mentioned above, your gesture will stay with him forever.  Extremely well-played.
    Trust you are making progress in the recovery and there is a positive light at the end of this tunnel.  Don't let the ba$tards get you down. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    edited March 2019
    I guess maybe I've just watched too much Family Guy but if I was a young man and an older guy with a walker answered the door ain't no way I'm going inside that house! :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    thetrim said:
    Very nice story and great job making sure he understood and those he works with understood.  Regarding the overhead bins issue, @northGAcock I usually only help the really hot chicks with their luggage.
    Obviously it hasn’t worked for you. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Thanks for sharing this story. I teach high school students. Yes, some of them are the kind we love to gripe and complain about. Most of them are decent kids just trying to get through their day. A few of them...have the outstanding character you experienced. They don’t receive as much recognition as the slugs. I’m glad you gave this young person the recognition they deserve - and didn’t expect. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Much better than when I had my leg broken in the mid 90's . My first day back from the hospital I had a cast from my toes to my crotch on the left side. Rather than figure out dinner on crutches I ordered Pizza Hut. I couldn't get the driver to put the box on the kitchen table. He finally agree to put it on the floor by the door so that I wouldn't drop it. He got the minimum tip and he was either a young Xer or an early millennial.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    I’m a big fan of this story. Always try to pay it forward. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    dmchicago said:
    My dad didn’t “invent” this but he sure said it s lot to me:

Character is how you act when you don’t think anyone is watching. 

Thats why why I always pick up my dogs 💩. 
    I hear I was thinking you were gonna say, that's why I only let my dog poop when it's dark outside.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95