Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looflighter Tips?

Options
KiterTodd
KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
edited March 2019 in EggHead Forum
I have always been a charcoal chimney guy with zero complaints.  Everything was right there.  And I'd recycle some paper I would have tossed anyway. Felt very natural.
Last month a bought a used egg.  Well, to be honest I bought a used table... but it came with the egg and a bunch of accessories since the guy was selling everything.  One of the items was a looflighter which I have never desired. I like it!
How do you guys who have one tend to use it?
It seems to take ~30 seconds to heat up and light the first lump, but after that any place you put it seems to light immediately.
Do you light several small spots or one big spot? (for a normal higher temp steak/pizza cook)
Do you just light in one small spot for a low and slow?
Open to any tips on this new toy of mine. Thanks!
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    edited March 2019
    Options
    For high temps I light several spots then let it spread. For the lower I usually light a couple single bricks for my Kingsford when using my Smokey Mtn or one small spot in the middle when using lump in the egg.

When lighting for high temp I also start with it touching the lump then lift it a couple inches off so it blows all over. Low I leave it touching so it only lights the one brick. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I always light a few spots.  I use a MAPP torch but the same tips should carry forward.  I like to put a piece of lump over the spot I'm lighting to help control the sparks.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    I have a looftlighter. I light my medium in two spots, usually at 3 and 9. If I get in a hurry I just use it at few inches from the lit spots like a bellows. That speeds up the burn.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,948
    Options
    once a spot is lit, withdraw a few inches and let the blower do the job, prolong contact with a lit hot spot could melt the aluminum nozzle.
    This, but the secret is that you don’t even need to wait for a spot to be lit.  Just hold the end a few inches away from the lump and it will get started eventually.  And your looftlighter will remain like new.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    I light straight down in the centre as I find the looft helps create a burn path that yields consistent cooks 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I don't know who's this is, but whatever this guy did, let us learn from his misfortune.

Image result for melted looftlighter
    I'm going to hazard a guess, alcohol consumption lead to forgetfulness and...
    Options
    Or maybe a blowjob was involved. 

With the LOOFLIGHTER, YOU PERVERTS!
    Options
    I even have a spare one on hand. They were on sale at Ace and I had a coupon.
  • Kevinboatright
    Options
    once a spot is lit, withdraw a few inches and let the blower do the job, prolong contact with a lit hot spot could melt the aluminum nozzle.
    This, but the secret is that you don’t even need to wait for a spot to be lit.  Just hold the end a few inches away from the lump and it will get started eventually.  And your looftlighter will remain like new.
    This right here!  I Iight in one spot in the middle... once lit pull back a bit and let the fan/blower take over. This method has never failed me and takes about 60 seconds start to finish. I’ve done this in a few different egg sizes and a Chiminea. 
    Atlanta, GA 

LBGE, Mini-Max, Mini, 1995 BGE Chiminea, 22" Blackstone, Weber Genesis E-310. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I don't know who's this is, but whatever this guy did, let us learn from his misfortune.

Image result for melted looftlighter
    I'm going to hazard a guess, alcohol consumption lead to forgetfulness and...
    I let someone use mine once, now it looks like this...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Tony_T said:
    Thanks Tony; I'd had a different idea on how that thing even worked.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    I know I'm in the minority of Loof owners, but mine sits in the corner and never gets used.  I prefer my $10 electric coil starter, jam it in and walk away for 8 minutes...no holding a frickin button just jam and go.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    lwrehm said:
    I know I'm in the minority of Loof owners, but mine sits in the corner and never gets used.  I prefer my $10 electric coil starter, jam it in and walk away for 8 minutes...no holding a frickin button just jam and go.

I used one for a couple of years (coil that is) until the heat melted the insulation off. Spending two minutes with a LL doesn’t ruin my day.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    I always wondered if other BGE owners were shooting For a whole egg to burn or just a spot? The LL gives me that spot. And, as a result, I conserve A LOT of lump..
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,948
    Options
    Tony_T said:
    I know they recommend touching right from the beginning, but in fact you don’t even need to do that.  Mine is five years old now and shows zero melt, and that’s in part because I’ve made sure the end never comes into contact with hot coals.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • KiterTodd
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, guys!
    Funny, I posted this after several cooks with a new bag of locally made charcoal that I guess was very dry.  LoofL worked great!
    I just started a cook with a bag of KJoe that's been sitting around a while in an outside bin and 30 minutes later my egg still isn't showing anything on the temp gauge...  and that's with me going back two more times to hit it with the LL again!! It's starting to go now, but I guess the size of the spot, and time saved, depends a bit on the lump used.  ;)

LBGE/Maryland
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    The quality of the ingredients is usually key and that includes the lump.
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    edited March 2019
    Options
    lwrehm said:

I used one for a couple of years (coil that is) until the heat melted the insulation off. Spending two minutes with a LL doesn’t ruin my day.
    2 minutes with a LL and I'd never cook a damn thing.  Maybe I got a bad one, but it never lit anything in 2 minutes.  If I didn't have to hold the damn button, maybe I'd have suck with it, but I think mine is in a pile of junk in waiting to go to the dump.

• KiterTodd
    Options
    lwrehm said:
    2 minutes with a LL and I'd never cook a damn thing.  Maybe I got a bad one, but it never lit anything in 2 minutes.  If I didn't have to hold the damn button, maybe I'd have suck with it, but I think mine is in a pile of junk in waiting to go to the dump.
    I'd agree the button is annoying.  I could see them not wanting it to stay on by itself, but they could have put a 60 second timer on it or something.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    The tip of mine is melted, but it works fine.  That said, I switched to a torch.  I got tired of dealing with the cord.
    NOLA