Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Mosquito solutions?

2»

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    fishlessman said:
    ...scratch garlic off that list, i planted 100 cloves a couple years ago, mosquitos everywhere
    Already have, as I mentioned above.  Although, someone else mentioned it repels people, and there's a lot to be said for that!   :)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 565
    Agree with Wolfpack on cutter spray that fits on hose.  We use it and it works for us here in rosharon, Tx where they get as bad as anywhere.  Sometimes I have to spray again after about 2 weeks.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    LUPARD said:
    Myself and most everyone in my neighborhood has a Mosquito Magnet. They work okay and are by no means a day 1 fix. The purpose of these bad boys is to wipe out a nest which could take 7 to 14 days. They also work best if you move them around from time to time because the CO2/octenol cloud only covers about 1 acre at a time (if memory serves me correct).
    I had one but it wasn’t very effective for me and was expensive to keep running for the results
    Dyersburg, TN
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Philly35 said:
    @caliking If you’re going to spray Bifenthrin, I’d spray down the whole yard. That’s how I do it anyway. I get the perimeter real good and then spray down the whole yard. It has real good residual as well. It has worked well for me. Mosquitoes live in the grass and just getting the perimeter will only kill the mosquitoes on the perimeter. You will still have a yard full of them. 

My favorite insecticide to use is Permethrin. It’s unreal on mosquitoes. Spray the yard down at sundown and you will be amazed at the amount of bugs flying out of the grass and dropping. Just don’t tell the neighbors you’re using agricultural insecticides! 

I would say the lack of insects in my yard is the best in town ha. Sometimes I even find dead birds. Worms pop up after a rain and the birds go crazy. Some don’t make it. 
    Thanks for the tip. This will be the first year using Bifen, so I hope it is effective. I used Sector in the drum for the misting system, and like I said it worked great when the system was operational.

The city has a fogging truck that fogs weekly in the summer, but it runs by the front of the house. Doesn't do much for all the space in the back. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.