Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deck/New Egg Home Ideas

Hey guys, we're closing on a new place Monday and it has a deck that needs to be rebuilt. I'm looking at it trying to figure out where I'm going to make my egg home and I'm not coming up with the perfect spot. Our previous house had a concrete patio so my egg lived in a table on the party. With the deck, I'm concerned with some of the spark horror stories we've seen on the forum. So, since the deck already needs to be rebuilt, I'm trying to think of creative ways to create an area on the deck for grilling. Ideally the floor in this area would be fire proof. I know a paver area at the bottom of the stairs would work but I'm trying to stay at deck level. Does anyone have a creative way to solve the problem.... Budget is pretty limited so nothing too extravagant. 

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    IPE?
    Greensboro, NC
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Congrats on the house!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    I have a similiar deck on our new house. In much the same shape. My current thinking is to ditch the railing, Trex the decking, build full span stairs then concrete about 10-15 beyond the deck allowing for a small “grilling” covered area on the concrete away from the house; as I tend to drink and grill often. This way I don’t risk burning the house down. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    Agree with the IPE suggestion.  Personally I would put stairs down to a slab where you put everything.  But I understand the desire to not have to go down stairs.  I have concrete where my eggs sit, and its 4 steps off the kitchen.  Eventually I will take out a lot of grass in favor of this.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited March 2019
    You could install extra framing and install a small pavered section flush to floor level. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    I think the easiest solution (Ipe is great, but also expensive from what I recall) would just be going with some type of composite decking. I would also reinforce the area where the BGE will sit. Needing stairs to get to the BGE just adds another potential for disaster, especially when drinking is involved.
    Stillwater, MN
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    cheap, easy and effective:  Lay down some hardie board (cement board) in your cooking area over your new deck.  ta da
    I think the easiest solution (Ipe is great, but also expensive from what I recall) would just be going with some type of composite decking. I would also reinforce the area where the BGE will sit. Needing stairs to get to the BGE just adds another potential for disaster, especially when drinking is involved.
    Decent composite is as much as ipe. 
  • ckali7
    ckali7 Posts: 120
    cheap, easy and effective:  Lay down some hardie board (cement board) in your cooking area over your new deck.  ta da
    I wondered if Hardie board could be used in place of the decking around the grilling area. 
  • ckali7
    I also wondered about coming off the deck and using blocks to build a raised section that comes up to deck level then using pavers for the floor in that section. 
  • ckali7
    Just found this! Looks like it might work.
    https://youtu.be/3fFP5s-MDvk
  • nolaegghead
    That Hardie Deck looks cool.  Fire, rot, termite resistant, modular so repairable, etc.

I'll also bet it's expensive.  Although probably cheaper than IPE/composite plastic.

Price it out and let us know.  You would only need to do the area you cook in, if you are on a budget.

But if you are *really* on a tight budget, just build your deck and buy 3x6 standard cement boards and configure some space and screw them on top of your deck. You can get 1/2" and put a transition around the area.  Paint it the same color as the deck finish and it would cost your maybe $150 more than not having it.
    That Hardie Deck looks cool.  Fire, rot, termite resistant, modular so repairable, etc.

I'll also bet it's expensive.  Although probably cheaper than IPE/composite plastic.

Price it out and let us know.  You would only need to do the area you cook in, if you are on a budget.

But if you are *really* on a tight budget, just build your deck and buy 3x6 standard cement boards and configure some space and screw them on top of your deck. You can get 1/2" and put a transition around the area.  Paint it the same color as the deck finish and it would cost your maybe $150 more than not having it.
    cover it with floor tile.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • nolaegghead
    Carpet with NOMEX!!!
    Is that Hardie Deck product available in the USA ?
    Cary NC
  • nolaegghead
    jad said:
    That's a good question.  I haven't heard of it but I've used their plank and board products extensively.
    from here it looks like you need to extend the deck 6 or more feet or set it up with a smaller table and seats for coffee and beverage drinking and build the patio out for a bigger crowd. a table for 6 to 8 and a grilling area and everyone will be stepping over one another on that deck.  i would do the patio and fix the deck later, it does not look that bad to me, a few boards and some paint
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    jad said:
    Google tells me it seems to be only in the Aussie market.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• jad
    jad Posts: 70
    Yea looks like Aussie only.... too bad it looks like a nice product

Cary NC
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    i would extend it out some if you can, put the egg up there and just make sure you are careful and it wont burn your house down.  keep a fire extinguisher handy and just double check before bed.  if you can do trex or something that is low maintenance that is the way to go in the long term.  they sell plenty of grill mats and things to put near the egg if it makes you feel better.  i would do a built in on one side with the egg and prep space then do the railing from thereto the rest off the deck. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• ckali7

So, are you taking about something like this? 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Cement-Board-40-085-070/202524262

It would only be in the area around the egg table. Maybe I could go with slightly thinner deck boards in the area that we put the cement board in?
    Does anyone one know how this stuff would hold up installed horizontally? 
  • nolaegghead
    ckali7 said:

So, are you taking about something like this? 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Cement-Board-40-085-070/202524262

It would only be in the area around the egg table. Maybe I could go with slightly thinner deck boards in the area that we put the cement board in?
    Does anyone one know how this stuff would hold up installed horizontally? 
    Exactly.  I'm used to buying it in 3x6' sections, but 4x8 is even better (must be heavy as hell). 

My entire shop is done with this stuff on the outside walls.   It should hold up well if you paint it or seal it with concrete seal.  Or both. If you put multiple pieces in, you tape and grout the joints.  Grout the screw holes.

If you deck with, say 5/4" decking, you could underlay this with 3/4" and have about the same height.
    That material doesn't have the same shear strength as wood, so I would definitely put it over decking or double up on it.  Or some kind of structural backing, might be 12" centers on your joists.
    edited March 2019
    I'd triple the depth of the deck to make the space suitable for more than a couple lawn chairs. Place the Egg as far from the house as you can. Figure out where the Egg will be placed and pave a 48* square pad on top of the decking with tile or other fire resistant material. It will catch any embers.

FWIW, I've had my grille on a cedar deck for over 20 years without an issue. My Egg has been on it since I got it 4 years ago. If I get paranoid I hose off the deck under the grilles to soak the wood.

Pro tip: Do not grille unattended. Do not consume so many adult beverages that you take your eye off the ball.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • ckali7
    edited March 2019
    Anyone have pics or examples of their deck cooking setup??
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 464
    This is our set up at the present time.  We are going to rip this deck up and put in a Trex deck.  Will increase size of deck from 28x8 to 28x18.  One end of deck will have the BGE and Weber and the other will have the hottub!!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,546
    ckali7 said:
    Anyone have pics or examples of their deck cooking setup??
    Calling @Thatgrimguy
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    So...I found this in my drafts and never submitted. Deck is probably built by now...but thought I would share:

Maybe something like this:
    https://paverdeck.com/

Note I think this is just the materials to build a platform that you install the pavers on. If you happen to be an an area with Menards I noticed they sell kits in various sizes. Cheapest was about $800. Assuming you don't want to do the whole thing perhaps you could build it on to the existing deck. The downside is all the pictures show metal beams and joists supporting the thing, so raising it up might get expensive. 

On their site they also show a new product TileDeck "launching this spring":
    https://paverdeck.com/tiledeck/

It looks like this is steel plank system that installs on the existing wood foundation. I was curious about this and emailed them about pricing and this was their response:
     We would sell the TileDeck system directly to you. Each piece of TileDeck is 6" x 48" and covers 2SF and requires 4 or 5 screws per piece depending on joist spacing. We would sell you the TileDeck for $12 USD per piece and the screws cost $0.15 USD per screw - shipping is extra.

Send me over your deck layout and I can begin preparing a TileDeck quote delivered to the nearest XPO delivery site for you.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.