Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSA - Never assume with a new egg.

Options
So I found a deal on another egg recently. Dealer couldn't sell it and wanted it gone. Music to my ears and out I go.
When I get there it's clear that they had no idea on how to assemble it. The dome was twisted, base was twisted and not all the assembly hardware was used. All played in my favour in the negotiation. 

Deal made and off I went. I straightened up the alignment and added missing bolts and all looked good.

A few days later wile searching for accessories, not that they're needed - just because... Well I don't know why but it just seems like the thing to do when you hang out here, After looking at raised grid option pictures, something didn't make sense to me. I see a lot of raised grids but looking at mine, it didn't seem to fit. When I lifted the lid, it actually came forward an inch prior to lifting. It would hit the raised grid before opening. 

I know that there have been a lot of changes in hinge design over the years and on all sizes of eggs but this didn't make any sense.

After searching here and trying to figure out what was wrong, it finally came to me. The hinge was actually installed upside down. What are the chances of doing that and still having a functional lid.

Flip the hinge and everything makes sense now. Alignment is perfect and all is good now.

Never assume a pre assembled egg is done correctly. Hard to believe they could get this many things wrong and have it on display. In the vendors defence, they are new to BGE and in a small town. It may have been their first sale.

Now back to those accessories!
Sudbury, Ontario

Comments