Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iton pan cleaning

JMCXL
JMCXL Posts: 1,524
edited March 2019 in EggHead Forum
Am I the last one to buy one of these to clean your cast iron pans

any downside to using it.

seemed to get the baked on chicken no problem. Usually I just need a paper towel for cleanup but when things get stuck this seemed to work great

any thoughts
Northern New Jersey
 XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

Comments

• What's the recommendation for using?  swirl around in the pan or use it as a hand scrubber?
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    I use salt to clean mine if brushing with a wok brush doesn’t get it all.  
  • JMCXL
    What's the recommendation for using?  swirl around in the pan or use it as a hand scrubber?
    Yes, very simple 
    Northern New Jersey

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Follow me on Facebook 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited March 2019
    I have one and never use it. Stuff never sticks to the Griswold.  I thought it was too hard on the seasoning that I was trying to build up on a Field skilet and various Lodge pieces. Water and a soft sponge is all I use these days 
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Love mine!  Wife made a frittata in my bigger CI skillet, then left the nasties in it for like 3 days.  A little hot water and my chain scubber and it was all gone! Super easy.
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited March 2019
    vb4677 said:
    Love mine!  Wife made a frittata in my bigger CI skillet, then left the nasties in it for like 3 days.  A little hot water and my chain scubber and it was all gone! Super easy.
    If I don't clean mine right away, I just put some oil in it and heat it up again and everything comes right off.

Semi-related, I hate doing anything eggs in cast iron because the retained heat seems to do bad things to eggs.
    NOLA
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    @tarheelmatt turned me on to "the ringer" as its called and I love it.  There are members of my family that abuse our  CI and that gets stuff off!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    JMCXL said:

seemed to get the baked on chicken no problem. Usually I just need a paper towel for cleanup but when things get stuck this seemed to work great

any thoughts
    I got one potiental concern.....don’t ask how I know. That rascal works well for the cast iron. Be careful it doesn’t slip into the disposal. If you run it and the scrubber is in the disposal......you will have many little pieces to fish out. Still have one I can’t get.....
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JMCXL
    I have one and never use it. Stuff never sticks to the Griswold.  I thought it was too hard on the seasoning that I was trying to build up on a Field skilet and various Lodge pieces. Water and a soft sponge is all I use these days 
    That is my concern, it might take off some of the seasoning
    Northern New Jersey

Follow me on Facebook 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Generally hot water and a paper towel works just fine.  If the crud is rougher than that I’ll use one of the scrubbers I use on my glass cooktop 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I use one of those green/yellow scrubbie things with soap and hot water. After I scrape it with a metal spatula.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-truth-about-cast-iron.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Love mine. Warm water, scrub, dry
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    So, the wife made a dessert in our regular pots and the sugar more than carmalized... it cemented itself to the bottom of the pot.  So I broke the 'ringer' out on it and it worked like a charm.  Nothing else I had tried even came close (hot water soak, dishwasher gel, plastic scraper..)

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Used used one for years. Works great with salt for me. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Chain mail scrubbers have been around for years ..i have some from the early 1900s that are attached to a handle and still work great today.  I mostly use a sponge and occasionally a plastic scraper...my miniature plastic curved bowl scraper/dough divider works great and doesn't score the seasoning.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have one, works great.  No worries about removing the seasoning.

any thoughts
    I got one potiental concern.....don’t ask how I know. That rascal works well for the cast iron. Be careful it doesn’t slip into the disposal. If you run it and the scrubber is in the disposal......you will have many little pieces to fish out. Still have one I can’t get.....
    Would one of these do it?

• nolaegghead
    JMCXL said:

any thoughts

Mine is non-magnetic SS.  So nope.
    JMCXL said:
    Nope - don’t worry about the seasoning. The idea is that the chain mail slides around on top of the seasoning and knocks off any baked-on crud. I only use mine when a washcloth and water won’t work, but I use it frequently enough that I’ve never had to re-season any of my pans. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I use one, no issues with it
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• DoubleEgger
    chzplz said:
    JMCXL said:
    Nope - don’t worry about the seasoning. The idea is that the chain mail slides around on top of the seasoning and knocks off any baked-on crud. I only use mine when a washcloth and water won’t work, but I use it frequently enough that I’ve never had to re-season any of my pans. 
    The ringer completely removed the seasoning from a #10 Gris and a #15 BSR that I bought. No pressure while using the ringer. I believe the folks who owned the pans prior seasoning with that useless flaxseed oil that the internet thinks is so great. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    i just hit a hot pan with a 1/4 cup water and run the spatula around it, let steam do the work
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    kosher salt + paper towel + scrub works every time for me. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • nolaegghead
    chzplz said:
    JMCXL said:
    The ringer completely removed the seasoning from a #10 Gris and a #15 BSR that I bought. No pressure while using the ringer. I believe the folks who owned the pans prior seasoning with that useless flaxseed oil that the internet thinks is so great. 
    I would be hard-pressed to call it "seasoning" if it came off that easily.  Possible it was flaxseed or whatever oil it was could have been applied over an oxidized (or otherwise compromised) substrate.
    edited March 2019
    JMCXL said:

any thoughts

No.....they are stainless and you get no sticky on the magie.

Edit: Sorry saw Nola's response after i responded. He is spot on.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    JMCXL said:

any thoughts
    I use mine all the time. Works great!
  • DoubleEgger
    chzplz said:
    JMCXL said:
    I would be hard-pressed to call it "seasoning" if it came off that easily.  Possible it was flaxseed or whatever oil it was could have been applied over an oxidized (or otherwise compromised) substrate.
    My scientific conclusion is that it was half assed work. 
  • DoubleEgger
    edited March 2019
    I keep wondering what the heck people are cooking that sticks so much that it has to be hard scraped out. 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    I have to scrape the remnants of breakfast sausage patties out with a stiff spatula. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • DoubleEgger
    SonVolt said:
    I have to scrape the remnants of breakfast sausage patties out with a stiff spatula. 
    I had that issue with the Field Skillet I mentioned. I started using a dollop of old grease to get it going just like my grandma used to.