Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iton pan cleaning

Options
2»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I use the bejesus out of my cast iron, sheet sticks to it all the time.  You get any sugar on it and it's like glue to that seasoning.
    Options
    I can cook scrambled eggs in my Lodge without a single curd sticking, but breakfast sausage may as well be concrete. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options
    i just hit a hot pan with a 1/4 cup water and run the spatula around it, let steam do the work
    I do the same, and use a nylon scrub pad if it's not coming off.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    edited March 2019
    Options
    scrape with spatula, into the dish water, scrub with green scrub pad, or sos pad, rinse, hot stove with coat of oil. 

That being said, I switched to carbon steel pans, so much better for my style than cast iron, and cheaper.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Oil salt paper towel usually does it for me, but the ringer is what comes out if anything is left.

Psa - don't fall for the flaxseed myth.

Phoenix 
  • Laserlarry
    Options
    Salt Paper Towel and Bacon grease
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    You clean your cast iron with bacon grease?
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    you guys seem to be working too hard at this, my pan normally sits on the same burner for the cook, the clean, and til the next cook. rarely do i need to lift it and find another option to clean it any better. it just stays there til maybe i need to use a different pan
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SonVolt
    Options
    I always take mine to the sink to rinse out the grease, else you risk building up the wrong kind of seasoning that ends up flaking off when you deglaze. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I always take mine to the sink to rinse out the grease, else you risk building up the wrong kind of seasoning that ends up flaking off when you deglaze. 
    grease in the sink is not the best idea, those drain pipes clog up eventually ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SonVolt
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    grease in the sink is not the best idea, those drain pipes clog up eventually ;)

That's after I pour out and/or wipe out everything I can with paper towels. I treat my septic tank with compassion and kindness. 
  • erniemcclain
    Options
    Several mentions against flax seed oil.  Why?  What’s “best”?

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options

It’s notorious for flaking off. 
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options

It’s notorious for flaking off. 
    What is the best oil to use? when I cook I like to use olive oil so it is always handy and I use it.
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    I personally prefer grapeseed oil.